There has been an error erasing your drive

dears ,

I forgot my password , i am trying to delete the drive in order to reuse the external drive but it is showing me the following error : “there has been an error erasing your drive.(3)”

Kindly is there any solution??

Try installing Smartware and entering the incorrect password 5 times for the option to delete your drive. 

I installed the smartware but still i am receiving the same error

any update ?

Have you tried using another USB cable? You can also try to erase the hard drive from another PC. 

I tried both with no luck

any update?

It looks to me like there are a lot of issues with My Book, smartware and not much real help.

I am sorry that I bought this thing. 

I have had the same issues as many of these people, and it’s just not supposed to be this hard to deal with an external hard drive, or so I thought.  I replaced my Seagate with the My Book, because the Seagate let me down.  Now, the My Book has crapped out on me and I have no back up available.

Next time I will buy a totally generic brand.

Next time make sure the drive doesn’t have hardware encryption, password protection etc unless you want those features. I know it’s hard to tell from the package. The Elements is a simple plug and play drive.

Joe

nootkabear wrote:

It looks to me like there are a lot of issues with My Book, smartware and not much real help.

I am sorry that I bought this thing. 

I have had the same issues as many of these people, and it’s just not supposed to be this hard to deal with an external hard drive, or so I thought.  I replaced my Seagate with the My Book, because the Seagate let me down.  Now, the My Book has crapped out on me and I have no back up available.

Next time I will buy a totally generic brand.

Have you contacted support to troubleshoot this issue?