Theming issue - folder thumbnails

I haven’t had any experience with the Mamba theme so I am only guessing.  Does the theme say that it is a linksheet theme?

When you downloaded the theme and unzipped it you would have had a folder with a number of sub folders for images and xml files?  In this folder with all of the xml files is where the (link)sheets go.

It’s a Hub theme that can be used on the SMP.  Yes it was designed for Linksheets, Folder sheets etc.  I just can’t get them to work:

You can see, download the theme here:  Goodbye Mamba Theme

@Dooker

I am not the best person to ask about this.  I am not trying to pass the buck but have you posted in the Black Mamba theme thread?  This may be the best place to post your question about this. 

The issue may well be theme related.

goodbye black mamba

definetely works on SMP

it’s what I’m currently using

I personally symlinked all my sheets into the theme’s root directory

but you can also put the theme on a thumbdrive

@KAD79,

Could you give me some advice please?  I tried Telnetting into my SMP (just using windows 7 Telnet) yesterday but kept getting the error “Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection failed”.

I’ve tried port 21 too but same message.

I really want these linksheets to work but really struggling with this. I’m obviously doing something majorly wrong that the answer will be so simple! 

Hi, I’m new and I want to know if it’s possible to put template on a thumb on a gen3 with the official firware? If yes, how do you do it or do you use b-rad palace ?

many thks

Hi PGRated,

I was looking for the same thing you were, folder thumbnails, and I came across this thread. I got the linksheets working for my folders, but now I’m interested in the .wd_tv part you were talking about! I keep trying to understand exactly what you are doing.

Could you explain how you changed the thumbnail size in the rv_gallery_browse xml? I don’t have any thumbs in my .wd_tv folder that size, so there must be some configuration you did. Then, if I am able to have the SMP make a thumb that size, then will the theme use the cached thumb (instantly) instead of trying to read the moviesheet jpg?

You said your scrolling and displaying of regular movie files is instantaneous! I really want to recreate that on my end. I also don’t use xml’s for movie data, all my movie data is written into the 1280 x 720 moviesheet jpg for each movie.

Thank you for your time!

the .wd_tv notes above is in relation to the WD HUB

on the SMP you must put linksheets inside the theme prior to upload (you’ll run out of space quickly)

or

use WDLXTV on the device and run the theme from a thumbdrive

If the HDD with your movies on it is connected directly to the WD then the WD will create a “.wdtv” folder on your HDD.  Within this folder is the cached thumb files that can be played around with.  I know that this is not the case if you are streaming your video files.

KAD79 - I use the linksheet method for ‘folder’ sheets and the above method for ‘file’ sheets.  The sheets that I use are very basic with all the info that I like to know displayed (eg. I don’t really need to know who directed the movie).  Using this method I am able to keep under the 30 MB limit on the SMP.

I won’t go into detail how I actually do it as it is very long winded.  Someone on here has said that I am going the long way about it.  Initially it took a bit of time to do all of my movies and TV shows.  However, now that I am on top of it, it only takes a few minutes to set it up how I like it.

I don’t stream my movies from my computer as it getting on the old and slow side of things (its about 10 years old) and doesn’t cope really well if I am watching something and the kids decide to get on the net.  The computer is still going strong but I know it limitations.

1 Like

I have an SMP as well as a Hub with all my media files stored on the Hub (either on its hard drive or on external drives connected to it via USB). I have been experimenting with applying themes and really like the idea of linksheets but I want both devices to look the same and use the same resource files.  I’ve heard mention of changing the SMP to use themes stored elsewhere.

My question is - is it possible to alter the SMP to use the same theme file that the Hub is using (stored on its internal drive), thereby overcoming the 30mb file size problem as well as leaving me with only 1 theme’s worth of linksheets to maintain?

I’m afraid I’m a Linux virgin and have never ‘telnetted’ before though I’m willing to learn if someone would be kind enough to help explain it to me, although since my WDs are still in warranty, I’d prefer to keep them to stock firmware if possible.

I would appreciate any advice from my more experienced fellow WDTVers.

Kai

@KAD79

Where you say: 

I personally symlinked all my sheets into the theme’s root directory

but you can also put the theme on a thumbdrive

Just to make sure I’ve got it right, you can either:

1.put the linksheets in the theme and upload, but this is limited to 30MB in total.

2.install wdlxtv on a thumbdrive and then put the theme with the linksheets in on the thumbdrive

3.put symlink files in the theme zip and upload.  Where do you point the symlinks to?  usb thumbdrive or the network share? and in one folder or individual movie folder (guesing doesn’t matter).  Do you have a process or script to go through and create the symlinks?