Theme: GoodBye Black Mamba (LinkSheet) Updated Dec 14th

greenlantern5 wrote:

I have the Livehub. I did unzip the theme and moved the folder over to the hub. What I got is shown in the pics in my previous post. I can’t figure what I am doing wrong.

Well, from looking at the pictures you posted, it does not appear that the theme is even installed, but I do see the picture of the BM woman in the first picture so you have gotten some of this on your drive at least.

Installing this on a LiveHub (which you are using) is very simple. I assume you followed the directions that came with the theme? DeVicious is very good about adding documentation to her work. 

So… since I do not know how much you know about themes, I am going to use baby steps and outline how to install this or most other themes on the HUB. If you already know all this, read it anyways since I took the time to write it :laughing:

INSTALLING THE THEME on your HUB

1) Download the the theme file (goodbye Black Mamba Theme Pack.rar) ,  and unzip it onto you computer. You will have two directories ( a demo directiory and the theme itself, a directory called “goodbye Black Mamba Theme”. There will also be two PDFs and the Thumbgen bundle. You will need the bundle to setup TG correctly if you plan to make linksheets, but more on that once you actually get the theme installed and working.

2) Next you will connect to your LiveHub from your computer. In the root of the device, there is a directory called “.wd_tv”. It us a hidden directory so if you do not see it, you need to turn on the ability to view hidden directories on whatever OS you are using. You will also see several other hidden directories. Open the  “.wd_tv” directory, and you should see two directories “theme” and “thumb”, plus a few system files. Open the “theme” directory, and you should see directories for all the themes you have installed on your hub. 

3) From your computer, copy the directory “goodbye Black Mamba Theme” into the “theme” directory on your LiveHUB.

4) That is the entire install process. You can now go to the setup tab on your hub, and under “appearance” choose " User Interface Themes". You will see a list of available themes, and you can scroll down and pick Goodbye Black Mamba.

If you have done these steps and cannot get it working, you need to then explain what has happened so we can give you some help. Such as, did you have the option to choose the theme (which would mean it is in the correct directory on your HUB). Have you installed other themes that you are able to use? Essentially we need a bit more info.

Go through the process above, choose the theme and let us know what happens. Once you get this part done (the easy part), then you can start working on Thumbgen which will take a bit of practice if you have not used it before.

Good luck and let us know where you are at.

-P

1 Like

Thanks Pearl for responding. This is the second theme I have tried to install with no luck. I will post some more photos showing you the steps I have/am taking. Thanks

http://imageshack.com/a/img10/3444/6l5c.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img198/4166/7itq.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/3936/uj3p.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img542/3070/e9bw.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img849/7200/7b6a.png

greenlantern5 wrote:

Thanks Pearl for responding. This is the second theme I have tried to install with no luck. I will post some more photos showing you the steps I have/am taking. Thanks

Try restarting the hub, sometimes it doesn’t completely ignore the previous theme after applying new one.

Cheers

Yup my friend, that definitely is a real problem. It appears from you pics that you put the theme in the right place, and you are able to choose it in your setup, but it is not taking. You are stuck with mochi.

One thing you may want to check out is when you highlight a theme, you should see a basic view of it in the right hand pane. Are you getting that? Then when you hit enter, you should see a bigger view of it and the “view theme” and the “view description” options on the right hand side just below “apply theme”. See if “view theme” or the “view description” work for you. If they do, you can just hit back to get out of that and back to the menu. To see this you should probably be in “list view”, which I believe is the default.

Look at my pictures below and see if you have something similar when you highlight a theme. A small picture of it, and  when you hit enter on one, the options to view it or get some information on each one. This would make me think that the were installed correctly.

Other than that I am at a loss, and as well these tests won’t solve anything, it would just give us a bit more data. I am assuming that you are moving over to the right hand side and hitting “Apply Theme” correct?  A basic question but you never know. It’s easy to miss if you are not used to this.

Here is what I see when I am browsing my themes in list view, and when I highlight one, and when I hit enter on them.

Let us know if you are seeing what I am showing you, and what happens when you hit any of the three options on the right, Apply Theme, View Theme, and View Description.

Good luck

-P

Thanks again Pearl. None of those screens have ever shown up when I highlight those and press enter.  When I go to view theme… The screen just stays Black. I get no preview at all. When I apply the theme it goes to the main page and the result is the pics with the mixed background.  I get no info when I click view description. Everything works fine though with the mochi theme. 

I have restarted the hub numerous times and it still doesn’t take 100%.

Ouch. This one’s above my pay grade. I am guessing that you have a corrupt Firmware or something similar. The only reco I can make is to do a factory reset in the setup menu.  The manual states: 

“restores all media center system preferences and playback settings to their default factory values. This may correct
problems caused by a failed firmware upgrade or faulty configuration settings.”

It’s certainly worth a shot, but you will have to add back all your passwords etc, and go through some FW upgrades.  I would at least give this a try as something is amiss with your current setup.

Sorry  I couldn’t be more helpful

-P

yeah, full reset is definetely worth a try

but my money is on

1. either corrupted files

or 2. additional folder level.

any theme should be

— lots of xml’s directly inside, and just a couple of folders

if you have

—<maybe thumbgen template folder

---------and now lots of xml’s

this would not work, and would be logical explanation

since the firmware will look to the theme you point it at, but if the required info is not there it will pull mochi info from the firmware

KAD79 wrote:

yeah, full reset is definetely worth a try

but my money is on

1. either corrupted files

or 2. additional folder level.

any theme should be

— lots of xml’s directly inside, and just a couple of folders

if you have

—<maybe thumbgen template folder

---------and now lots of xml’s

this would not work, and would be logical explanation

since the firmware will look to the theme you point it at, but if the required info is not there it will pull mochi info from the firmware

Good call KAD but I think unfortunatley for  the OP that #1 on your list is the most probable. When you unzip goodbye Black Mamba Theme Pack.rar, the theme directory is called “goodbye Black Mamba Theme” which is what I see in the pictures posted above. If it were the two level directory inlcuding the demo etc, in theory we would see the folder called  “goodbye Black Mamba Theme Pack” in the picture.

What baffles me the most is that some of the theme has made it to the HUB. In the very first picture posted (one page back) that shows choosing the media source. there is the graphic off the Black Mamba Woman that is used in the theme’s splashscreen. 

Fun stuff eh?

-P

probably individual files used in the theme are corrupted

so WD looks for the specific xml or .png that is needed, when it’s needed

finds a corrupt file so, defaults to the mochi theme

this would result any any non-corrupted xml’s will be used, and any non-corrupted .png’s will be used

but anything that was corrupted, it will display items for the mochi theme

I have rolled back the firmware already. And I did a factory reset numerous times. I guess I have to give up. Thanks everyone

Based on what KAD is saying, have you downloaded a different copy of the theme? 

I wonder too if you unzipped the theme on the PC and then copied the BM theme folder to the Hub or was it downloaded and unzipped on the Hub? 

There have been reports that unzipping while its on the Hub can cause problems with files being corrupted. 

I downloaded it to the pc and unzipped it on the pc. Moved it over to the hub.

I am open to all suggestions to get this great theme working.

Well… This is stumping everyone.

I would try

Delete the them from the Hub

Delete the theme from your PC and all it’s files

Download the theme again

Unzip it on the PC

Copy it over to the Hub again

After that if it doesn’t work…time for RMA if you’re still in warranty. :frowning:

Yeah I am stumped as well. I did what you said and still not working for me. Unfortunately I am out of warranty. Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

ok …i scanned quickly thru all the posts…i didnt notice if you installed the WDLINK software and than accessed the hard drive of the hub in that fashion.you can map the drive or just drag and drop the theme (unzipped) into the theme folder.

after a reset of the hub the theme should appear in the list of themes to use.

do not try and add the theme the same way you would add to the SMP (via browser interface)

try a factory reboot and start over if it fails…avoid adding themes thru the web interface…simply add it to the theme folder on the hub.

I did map the hub.  I dragged it over and reset it.  Still not working.

ok…did you install the WDLINK software?

greenlantern5 wrote:

I did map the hub.  I dragged it over and reset it.  Still not working.

Just a thought, have you tried another theme i.e Coco Linksheet Theme?

Would determine if fault in theme or hub.

cheers