The status light won't stop flashing and turn green

I recently (10 hrs ago) picked up a WD 3TB and none of the diagnostic programs or Western Digital programs can find it on my network.

MyBook Model# WDBACW0030HBK-NESN   The status LED will not stop flashing on the front of the unit.

When I first Plugged in the the USB 3.0 to 2.0 into my router Netgear WNDR3700V2 I could see the drive…  Now I can not.  All the literature refers to an ethernet cable to connect the HD to the Router. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Is there a factory Reset button I have missed incase I screwed up a setting inadvertently?

Thanks for the assistance.

Kaiavatar wrote:

When I first Plugged in the the USB 3.0 to 2.0 into my router Netgear WNDR3700V2 I could see the drive…  

Uh, no.   Not possible.  The MBL is *NOT* a USB disk.  No way it ever showed up on your router via USB.

Kaiavatar wrote:

All the literature refers to an ethernet cable to connect the HD to the Router. 

Correct. Use the included ethernet cable to plug it into your router via ETHERNET (not USB).

All Due Respect Tony…

This is the 3 TB MY Book.

The only ports in the back are for the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

The physical Cable Lock port.

The power plug port and that was it.

There was no Ethernet Cable included in the packaging.  Just the new USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 end as the only I/O option.

Here is the WD site image for the Connection.  http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=870

Being a USB drive no diagnostic programs are going to see it on the network (as a HDD), because it will just show up as a share. First you want to plug it directly into your computer and make sure it shows up and you can transfer data etc.

Given that you want to plug it into your router you are going to want to turn off the encryption features. It needs to be in a state where you can just plug it into any computer not running the WD software and you can read/write it…

Usually these things are router problems, most routers with the ability to mount a volume and share it across a network aren’t very good at that task…