The slow restart problem

Having shut my cloud down last night (all proper, like…), I’m rebooting it bringing back from shutdown. Light was a bit odd: solid white for a while, now flashing.  No response from Dashboard or SSH yet.

Guess I’ll just have to wait… I rarely shut my clouds down, so I’ve not seen this before. Now I see why it causes such frustration… Shall I take bets on how long before it comes to life…?

Right, as it wasn’t even responding to ping,  took a closer look a the lights.

That ‘flashing white’ was actually yellow: no Ethernet. Oh yes; no lights on the Ethernet connector.

Tried 4 sec reset. Nope.

Tried changing router ports. Nope.

Tried different cable. Nope.

Tried rebooting router. Nope.

Unplugged power and reconnected. Nope.

Unplugged power and Ethernet, and reconnected power. Aha! Ethernet lights at last.

Reconnected Ethernet. 100M yellow light on (correct). Green traffic light starts flickering. Solid white front light.

And we’re up.

I shut it down from the dashboard last night.

I left power and data connected.

I rebooted by unplugging and replugging power.

Are you seriously trying to tell me I have to disconnect the Ethernet to get it to reboot?

Maybe I didn’t leave it unplugged long enough. But that would suggest poor design of the brownout/reset circuit…

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Are you seriously trying to tell me I have to disconnect the Ethernet to get it to reboot?

I’ve rebooted mine probably dozens of times since I’ve had it.   Never had to disconnect anything…

Yes, it’s odd.

If you don’t unplug anything, how do you reboot? The manual says you can unplug after the front panel light goes out. I assumed all activity ceases, including dashboard, but I didn’t check. Currently shutting down to check…

… Yes; new shutdown, and dashboard is inaccessible.

So, power lead or reset switch?

Reset didn’t reboot.

Power lead removal did reboot. Didn’t disconnect Ethernet.

Could this be one of those intermittent/rare problems that so baffles us? I’ll be adding it to my list of things to check…

cpt_paranoia wrote:

No problems with rebooting from the UI on my WD My Cloud. No need to pull the Ethernet cable. No problems either with pulling the power and reapplying it to reboot the unit.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Yes, it’s odd.

If you don’t unplug anything, how do you reboot?

You “reboot” through the UI. :wink:

Settings → Utilities → Device Maintenance → Device Power → Reboot

My bad phrasing (now amended):

When I said ‘reboot’, I meant ‘bring it out of shutdown’.

Here are two things that you must do before rebooting

you probably know this… but I’ll reiterate 

1. unplug all USB devices and plug them back in after at least 5 minutes for the cloud to settle down from rebooting.

2. if you don’t have media scans disable permanantly, SSH into the machine as soon as the device allows you to, so you can  disable the scans… 

also when I say rebooting I mean the same as you… bring it out of shutdown :stuck_out_tongue:

you probably know this… but I’ll reiterate

I don’t use the external USB, and the indexing services are disabled until the next firmware upgrade; this wasn’t a CPU busy problem, it was an “I’m refusing to even try booting” problem, because it couldn’t find a network (flashing yellow).

No, it looks like this was a genuinely strange case of the Ethernet interface crashing (no lights). I can only think it was too short a power cycle causing a brownout.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

My bad phrasing (now amended):

When I said ‘reboot’, I meant ‘bring it out of shutdown’.

Wonder if one can install the Wake on Lan service to the WD My Cloud slimilar to what is described for the MBL at this link. If it is wake on lan capable that should be able to bring it up from a shutdown state.

Bennor wrote:

Wonder if one can install the Wake on Lan service to the WD My Cloud slimilar to what is described for the MBL at this link. If it is wake on lan capable that should be able to bring it up from a shutdown state.

got me excited… someone go test and be the hero of the our Cloud community :stuck_out_tongue: perhaps this is the sleep mode that we’ve been looking for :slight_smile:

Ok… that is not a wakeonlan for the MBL… It is a wake on lan for your computer issued through the MBL. :frowning:

Yeah just noticed that. Sorry I had my hopes up too. LOL

Still begs the question though, does the WD My Cloud hardware support wake on lan?

Edit to add: Wonder if one can apt-get ethtool or similar module to the WD My Cloud? With the ethtool one can see if the hardware supports wake on land and enable it if it does.

Bennor wrote:

Yeah just noticed that. Sorry I had my hopes up too. LOL

Still begs the question though, does the WD My Cloud hardware support wake on lan?

Edit to add: Wonder if one can apt-get ethtool or similar module to the WD My Cloud? With the ethtool one can see if the hardware supports wake on land and enable it if it does.

do it Bennor, for the sake of the forum, do it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can find and enable WOL on the Cloud… I’ll personally kudos every post that you ever had posted :stuck_out_tongue: and all future posts too… I heard that WD will give you a free cloud when you get 1000 kudos… don’t know who started that rumor :stuck_out_tongue:

do it Bennor, for the sake of the forum, do it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can find and enable WOL on the Cloud… I’ll personally kudos every post that you ever had posted :stuck_out_tongue: and all future posts too… I heard that WD will give you a free cloud when you get 1000 kudos… don’t know who started that rumor :-P 

If I have time this weekend I’ll mess around and see if it can be done or at the very least see if a module can be downloaded to show the LAN card status. Its been a while since I messed with SSH so I’m liable to brick the My Cloud. :laughing:

One thing I did notice when using the shutdown option from the UI, the LAN indicator lights on the back of my unit were still lit and occasionally flashing. That indicates that power is still flowing to the onboard LAN.

1 Like

OK some quick and dirty investigating shows that the “ethtool” module _ is included _ with the Debian firmware on the WD My cloud, at least the v04.01.04-422 firmware loaded to my box. So there is no need to do an “sudo apt-get install ethtool” to install the “ethtool” module to the My Cloud OS. Doing a “sudo ethtool eth0” produces the following on my box:

WDMyCloudDebianEthtoolResults.jpg

It appears the NIC hardware doesn’t support Wake-On-Lan (WoL) since there is no “Wake-on” entry for it. :cry:

Edit to add: The “sudo ethtool -i eth0” output:

WDMyCloudDebianEthtoolResults1.jpg

1 Like

we knew that :stuck_out_tongue: but thanks for confirming Bennor :slight_smile:

Oh, yes, the thing remains powered in shutdown. I could tell that because it was still quite warm…

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Oh, yes, the thing remains powered in shutdown. I could tell that because it was still quite warm…

Thus we confirm that it is actually a mobile phone with an arm chipset, running debian with hard drives connected. I think the next Cloud version should have a touch screen on the side of the device. 

Thanks! mine was stuck booting for about 23 hours. I then read this-- and then i slept on it, and when i woke up and it was still stuck, I unplugged the MyCloud, unplugged the Ethernet, plugged in the cloud drive, waited a few minutes and after a while the white light started flashing— once the white light started flashing i plugged in ethernet and went and got coffee!!! About 10 minutes later it still wasn’t blue, but i did go to my laptop and was a little shocked to see i could access the cloud drive shares without issue! It was at least partially online already after a 24+ hour outage (took significantly less than 15 minutes from power off to being able to access). By the way, I also connected an external hard drive to USB ports because i’ve found the thing just works better when i do— when i initially booted it was not connected, and i don’t know if that was a factor.