The driver detected a controller error

A couple or so times a day I get this event logged in the Event Viewer “The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2”.  This is associated to my MyBook Studio Edition II in RAID 1 plugged via USB 2.0 port.  There doesn’t appear to be any issue though. Accessing the drive is fine.   I ran a quick test using the diagnostic tool and it reported fine.  I’m wondering if the feature that lets the drive got to sleep may be causing something on my Windows 7 system to create the error.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

I did.  They are of no use.  They blame the PC or cable.  I think I’ll ignore the error since it appears only sometimes and then only when the drive is in power save mode.  I’m starting to think the power save mode is more trouble than it’s worth.  It delays other activities significantly, such as file searching using Windows Explorer because it has to wait for the two drives to spin up.  I know I could try and workaround this by running a dummy script that accesses a number of files on the device every 5 minutes.  I shouldn’t have to though.  Sorry but I won’t be buying a WD device ever again.

I get those errors at times also. It normally happens when I first plug anything into my USB 3 ports including just a flash stick. Does the same on two of my systems running Win 7 64bit. Everything works fine except those few event errors. I have learned to ignore a lot of those events.

Jim