That is why I have problems with how WD handles this issues

It took me more than a half hour to sign into this website ridiculous. My name can’t be 2 characters, it must be 5. My password…etc. I have a WD passport that is nothing but a paper weight. WD gives no support. Their literature is worthless. It makes no sense and never answers the questions that you have. They sell a lot of drives because they have it designed so it takes you two or three buys before you figure out what to do to keep the drive working. You mean to tell me that a big company like Western Digital does not have a way around their password. If they don’t then I do not want to buy any other products from them. 1. they can’t help me in a jam, and 2. who wants to deal with a company that is so dumb that it can’t circumvent its own security. No, they know how to get around it, but this way everybody thinks their thing is so secure. it will be until they upset one of these real smart geeks, and he will post it all over the internet. But see the real smart geeks don’t buy from WD. It is the rest of us that don;t know better and think WD is the best. Well, as long as my passport is a paper weight, and WD cant help me retrieve my data. I will buy hard drives and all other producst from anywhere except WD. There I have said my peace. Lest see how much freeedom of expression they allow in here. Probably none. The truth is kriptonite to those who refuse to see it, and hide it from others.

let me guess you forgot your password and now you cant retreive your data.

Put it this way you have very important valuable data that could detroy the plane (yes being sarcastic) and you password protect it so nobody can get access to those files and destroy the planet. 

Now someone steels your hard drive and they dont know the password, so they call WD and they say i forgot my password, WD agent says " sure let me go ahead and reset it for you" or " sure here are the steps so you can delete your password so you can access you data".

Now that person has all that important data (family pictures, financial imformation, social secirity numbers, tax information, private kinky photos and videos.) 

Does it make sense anyone?

odod13 wrote:

It took me more than a half hour to sign into this website ridiculous. My name can’t be 2 characters, it must be 5. My password…etc. I have a WD passport that is nothing but a paper weight. WD gives no support. Their literature is worthless. It makes no sense and never answers the questions that you have. They sell a lot of drives because they have it designed so it takes you two or three buys before you figure out what to do to keep the drive working. You mean to tell me that a big company like Western Digital does not have a way around their password. If they don’t then I do not want to buy any other products from them. 1. they can’t help me in a jam, and 2. who wants to deal with a company that is so dumb that it can’t circumvent its own security. No, they know how to get around it, but this way everybody thinks their thing is so secure. it will be until they upset one of these real smart geeks, and he will post it all over the internet. But see the real smart geeks don’t buy from WD. It is the rest of us that don;t know better and think WD is the best. Well, as long as my passport is a paper weight, and WD cant help me retrieve my data. I will buy hard drives and all other producst from anywhere except WD. There I have said my peace. Lest see how much freeedom of expression they allow in here. Probably none. The truth is kriptonite to those who refuse to see it, and hide it from others.

odod13,

If you lose your password, there is no way around it.  You will never be able to recover your data.  That is by design.  Otherwise, everything linkarmy09 says is true.  Now, unless you can remember your password, then the only other option is to reformat the drive and start over.  At least it won’t be a paperweight.  Look at page 35 on the SmartWare manual.  It discusses password protecting your drive. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf