System users in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow allowed shell access

I noticed in my /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files that there are system users by the name of squeezecenter and nobody. The presence of these users don’t concern me, but I’m wondering if I should be concerned of the following:

1. Both “nobody” and “squeezecenter” users have /bin/sh set to their default login shell.
  2. Both users have hashed passwords in /etc/shadow.
  3. Both users are allowed to login

Should this concern me? /etc/ssh/sshd_config doesn’t specify that those users can’t login either. I’m worried that somewhere there is a default password for these users (since there is a hashed password in /etc/shadow) and that someone could potentially login to my EX2 server without me knowing.

Any thoughts? I’m not a Linux expert by any means so I’d love someone to quell my fears!

Hello,

I haven’t experienced the situation you are having, Lets see if another user has had this issue and can share some experience with us.

If you have a WD product that allows ssh access, try it out and see. The behavior I’m seeing is on the My Cloud EX2 while logged in as root using the default login name sshd.