System Diagnostics

Having recently experienced problems with the My Cloud device on our (mainly wired) network - specifically extremely slow responsiveness and transfer rates and a problem with the time machine backups for the one Mac on the network I have tried various remedies including turning off the media servers and cloud access, powering everything down, changing cables etc.

I am assuming this may have arisen as a result of the recent firmware upgrade as others have reported but before trying the downgrade (or the horrors of a full system restore) I thought I would run the full system diagnostics. This seemed to be progressing well but has remained stuck on 90% progress for about 12 hours. The drive is still active so it gives every impression that the test is still running but it seems unlikely.

I’ve found a few other posts where others have reported not getting past the 90% mark with the diagnsotic test but nothing that explains why this happens or whether there is a resolution. I’m going to leave it running for now but would be grateful for any informed advice.

As an update the diagnostoc task eventually failed - it said because of a network error. After that, oddly, the drive seemed a lot more responsive: I managed to upload a large file at just under 9Mb/s which while not great is much better than I had been getting (<1 MB/s mostly). Anyway, a while later I thought I’d have another go at the diagnostic test and this time the test reported that the drive had failed. I tried to follow the instruction to submit a diagnostic report but (my browser blocked a popup which when allowed just took me to the log-on screen rather than to anything informative.

In an odd way this feels like progress …

mickgre wrote:

As an update the diagnostoc task eventually failed - it said because of a network error. After that, oddly, the drive seemed a lot more responsive: I managed to upload a large file at just under 9Mb/s which while not great is much better than I had been getting (<1 MB/s mostly). Anyway, a while later I thought I’d have another go at the diagnostic test and this time the test reported that the drive had failed. I tried to follow the instruction to submit a diagnostic report but (my browser blocked a popup which when allowed just took me to the log-on screen rather than to anything informative.

In an odd way this feels like progress …

Is that 9 Mbps or 9 MBs?  Wired ethernet or wireless?  If wireless is it wireless n?  If ethernet is it Gigabit or Megabit?  For wireless 9MBs is not too bad.  For 100 Mbps ethernet that’s also not too bad.  For 1000 Mbps (Gigabit) ethernet that’s very slow.

1 Like

This is wired and a Gigabit network and yes I realise it’s very slow … it’s just an improvement on recent speeds which have been glacial. The rest of the network operates at the kind of speed you’d expect - it’s just the My Cloud which is misbehaving.

I am now having this same problem, did you ever get a solution?

Yes, things are much better now. I can’t remember all of the details but I read up on SSH (never having used this before) and disabled the various processes that people had identified as troublesome. I also ‘downgraded’ the firmware to the previous version. This led to quite a big improvment!

Since then, with some trepidation, I’ve installed the latest version of the fiirmware which seems to have solved the problems that the July 2014 version had. So, at the moment, things are running well. Good luck with sorting your system out - it is very frustrating to have things running so slowly.