Syncing

I have my WD Live Hub set up to sync the movies on MY BOOK Live.  Does this mean I have a copy of the movie on both drives, or does the Hub  simply create a “pointer” to the Book?

Thanks,

Bill

Somebody, pls reply.  I’m surprised no one has answered my question.

Thanks.

I do not use this feature,  but the user manual explains that files are copied, not just pointers.

This is what happen when you plug in a USB drive: (from page 21 in the manual)

“The Sync and Transfer screen appears. Pressing OK copies all the media files from the USB device into the media center’s internal drive. The files will all be synced to a designated folder (“USB_Sync”) in the media center’s internal drive. For each new USB device, a designated folder is created based on the USB volume name. The media center only syncs and copies files that are new (by date modified) or different than what’s already stored rather than moving the entire contents of the external USB device each time.”

Good luck

-P

1 Like

Thank you for the valuable information.  I am disappointed that the “sync” actually “copies” the folders to the main internal drive of the HUB.  It defeats the purpose, IMHO, of using external drives like MY Book Live, unless the user likes the idea of having a backup copy.  Because I own the original DVDs (Buray), I am not so concerned with a backup feature.  Perhaps WD could make it an option to copy or to point…

Again, thank you much for the time you gave in offering me a solution.  I appreciate your effort very much.

palavering wrote:

Thank you for the valuable information.  I am disappointed that the “sync” actually “copies” the folders to the main internal drive of the HUB.  It defeats the purpose, IMHO, of using external drives like MY Book Live, unless the user likes the idea of having a backup copy.  Because I own the original DVDs (Buray), I am not so concerned with a backup feature.  Perhaps WD could make it an option to copy or to point…

Again, thank you much for the time you gave in offering me a solution.  I appreciate your effort very much.

If you add the folders on the external disk to the Media Library the files will be played from the external disk without making a copy to the Hubs local disk.

Thank you.  I’ll try to read how to add the files to my media library.  I have macular degeneration, so it’s not always so easy.

I really appreciate your advice.

And badmem’s solution for you works great. I have almost all my data on external discs connected to the USB ports, with very little on the internal drive.

-P 

badmem wrote:

If you add the folders on the external disk to the Media Library the files will be played from the external disk without making a copy to the Hubs local disk.

Can I add my movie folders from MY Book Live to My Media Library, too?  I also have another USB HDD connected to my PC that has a movie folder.  Can it be added to My Media Library?  I’m reading the manual, but I don’t see anything that reads that I can do this.  I have been using the red button to bring uo these aforementioned folders.

Thanks for the input.

palavering wrote:

Can I add my movie folders from MY Book Live to My Media Library, too?  I also have another USB HDD connected to my PC that has a movie folder.  Can it be added to My Media Library?  I’m reading the manual, but I don’t see anything that reads that I can do this.  I have been using the red button to bring uo these aforementioned folders.

Thanks for the input.

If the My Book folder is shared with write permission by the PC it is attached to you should be able to add it to the Media Library.

Page 191 of the manual shows how to add a network share to the Media Library. If it’s not there you can download a newer version of the manual from  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf