Syncing two My Cloud devices in two different locations

Hi there. First post here.

BRIEF: I just wanted to share my successful experience in syncing two My Clouds in two different locations. I wanted the peace of mind of having redundancy in case my house burns down to the ground, taking my years of data with it. A scary thought for me. I’ll show how I used the open source software to achieve my goal by having my primary My Cloud residing at my house, with my secondary My Cloud residing at my mother-in-law’s home.

STUFF USED: Two 3TB My Clouds, FreeFileSync, Windows Task Scheduler, and two Routers, Putty

The first thing I did was to have both My Clouds at my house in order to sync over my network (instead of the Internet), because I had over 100 gigs to mirror. Having FreeFileSync open, I chose File Size for Compare settings and Two-Way for Synchronize settings. Then before browsing to the two clouds, I first had to map the FTP drives on my Windows computer. And I guess before I did that, I had to enable FTP on the My Clouds by going to Settings > Network and turning on FTP access. While you’re at it, turn on SSH access as well (you’ll need it later). So, I browsed to my two mapped FTP drives and commenced syncing.

After that was done, I took some advice and changed the root SSH password of the My Clouds. I used Putty to login. Username: root, Password: welc0me. Use passwd command to change the password. Make it strong! Oh, and be very careful, you don’t want to brick your box by typing the wrong things!

Next, I brought my secondary My Cloud to MIL’s home. I opened up the ssh port on the router there. I went ahead and used 8822 for my external and 22 for my internal port. I also setup ddns. I wont’ go in how to do set up DDNS, but you can look it up. It’s a way to get around the dynamic IP you get from your ISP changing.

Back to my house, I did the same thing. I opened up 8822/22 on my router and already had setup DDNS for other things I’ve done. Next, let me explain FreeFileSync a bit more. I downloaded and installed it on my home windows desktop. I kept it from ever going to sleep or turning off harddrives. Having the program open click on the world icon on both sides to open up an SFTP session. I typed in my ddns host of my MIL’s router on one side and the ddns host name of my router on the other side. i filled in the external ports (in my case 8822), entered in the root name/password, then chose browse. I only had the desire to sync my photos, music, videos, and documents. So I browsed to /DataVolume/shares. It’s this directory that all your shares are. I then went to Actions and chose Filter Settings and went ahead and added these hidden directories: *.groupingDb*, *.wdmc*, *.wdphotos*.

Next, go ahead and click Compare. Then when that is done, click Synchronize. Once it’s complete, you can click Save as Batch Job. I pretty much followed this tuturia. And so I went ahead and setup my task scheduler to run the compare and sync everyday at 2 am.

And there you have it. My clouds sync everyday automatically. I make it sound really easy and looking back at it, I guess it was, but it did take me a week to complete. I trialed and error’d different ways using different software and approaches, but now that it’s been synching flawlessly for 2 weeks, i thought i’d share my experience here. hopefully the folks at wd will come up with an easier solution in the future. If anyone has any critiques or suggestions to improve, reply. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! The only setback I see for this, all traffic will flow via your windows desktop all the time as:
Mycloud1 <-> Windows Desktop FreeFileSync <-> Remote Mycloud 2
But it should work.

If you want to take it to the next level and learn about Linux a bit to avoid the middle system…
Create your own script for Linux/MBL using “rsync” command which also runs over SSH. You can then run the command manually or schedule it with a cron job :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, i only have it sync once a day at 2 am when i’m asleep. it mostly syncs just my gf’s and i’s photos/videos of the day, so the batch job takes no more than 2 minutes to complete. and boy, linux? ha. no thank you. i’m not hating on it; it’s just not for me.

1 Like