Syncing files (movie file) from WD My Book to WD Live Hub

I have a WD TV Live Hub which I have almost filled the 1 TB drive with movies and TV series. For extra storage I bought a WD  My Book 3TB external drive, attached by USB 2 to the WD Hub. I plan to download and store movies directly to the My Book.  A message pops up asking if I want to sync the external USB drive to the WD TV Hub. Does syncing copy the movie from the My Book drive to the TV Hub (and further decreasing the space I have)?? 

Any suggestions of an optimum setup to copy movies from my computer to the external drive? I have the WD TV Live Hub pluged into my home network via ethernrt cable (with the My Book attached by USB 2).

Lowell wrote:

I have a WD TV Live Hub which I have almost filled the 1 TB drive with movies and TV series. For extra storage I bought a WD  My Book 3TB external drive, attached by USB 2 to the WD Hub. I plan to download and store movies directly to the My Book.  A message pops up asking if I want to sync the external USB drive to the WD TV Hub. Does syncing copy the movie from the My Book drive to the TV Hub (and further decreasing the space I have)?? 

Any suggestions of an optimum setup to copy movies from my computer to the external drive? I have the WD TV Live Hub pluged into my home network via ethernrt cable (with the My Book attached by USB 2).

Syncing, I refuse to do as well as using the internal scraper and the Media Library IMO is so lame it’s not worth using. But No it will not copy your files from one to the other. There is a file copy option for that.

Not sure if I recall correctly (I’m old) but if you’re accessing those 2 drives (the Hub’s and the external one connected to the hub) from your PC to copy files from the external drive to the Hub internal drive, the data still flow over your network, then back to the Hub’s drive. This is very slow…

External drive? Fastest way from PC to external drive? Remove it from the Hub’s USB port and plug it in the PC’s USB port then copy files to it and put it back on the Hub. Might also be the better way to get movies from the PC to the Hub’s internal drive as well. Moving them over the network = slow. Make sure to EJECT the external drive from the Hub before you pull the USB cable out of it. On your remote it’s the button on the very bottom row right side. ^ is how it looks. Likewise on the PC, once you’re done on the PC use Safely Remove or right click on the drive in Computer and select EJECT.

Thanks for the reply.  So I guess that instead of syncing you look at the files section and the movies individually? And what do you mean by the internal scraper?

Lowell wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  So I guess that instead of syncing you look at the files section and the movies individually? And what do you mean by the internal scraper?

I see my movies and video files like anyone else does I guess. I use a theme (Coco Linksheets). I use Thumbgen to get the movie data/info for the sheets in Coco. The internal scraper is for getting content info about your movies. I don’t need it or want it making a mess of my hard drive with .metadata files and garbage I don’t need cause Thumbgen does it all very well and very fast.

But this is just the way I “roll”. Might not be to YOUR liking.