Synchronise Two My Cloud Devices

I have two WD My Cloud devices and I would like to be able to use one as a remote backup for the other. (The second device would be in a different location and the synchronisation/backup would be over the internet.) This way I have my data replicated and secure meaning that if I had a fire or was burgled I would have a secured set of data to recover from.

Is this possible?

As a fallback I would be happy to synchronise my most important files to OneDrive. Because of the volume of data that I have, synchronising everything to cloud would be too expensive so I’d rather find a solution where I can synchrnise between 2 NAS devices. (It would seem to me to be rather an obvious requirement!?)

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Officially, it depends on what My Cloud model and firmware one is running. See the following WD Support Knowledgebase articles covering remote backup.

My Cloud Safepoint and Remote Backup Compatibility Matrix

How to Create a Remote Backup on a My Cloud Device

A single-bay My Cloud is unable to create a remote backup to another single-bay My Cloud

Unofficially one may be able to use Rsync via SSH or install the GoodSync app via SSH to accomplish some form of remote backup or remote copying of files from or to a My Cloud.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. It transpires that the MyCloud devices are pretty limited in their abilityy to back up to each other but the GoodSync solution proposed is excellent.

I actually ended up running it as a service on a server as I got a lot of useful additional functionality that way.

:+1: