Synchro SmartWare.stor and Backup.stor

Hello when I bought my WD Ultra Passport I was happy to see everything I put into the computer was copied - in the Winter I undertook a cleanup of about 40000 photos putting them into windows files on E disc my PC having 2 c and E I realized that the swartWare.swstor had not changed anything so I got Backup.swstor which seems to be OK but how can I synchronize the two to get more space on the external drive Any suggestions or assistance will be much appreciated thanks all in advance

Hi,
If you look in smartware.swstor, you will fined all the deleted files have ‘strikeout’ through the names. You should be able to delete those files and maybe whole folders. You may also have multiple copies of some files if you edited any of them. You can reduce the number of copies by changing “File History” number under Settings in Smartware to 1.

WD SUPPORT please note:
Smartware needs a simple way of cleaning up backup files which are no longer needed. I had to clean out a large area of my C drive to release space, But Smartware does not understand and I can’t spend the time deleting files.on SmartWare.swstor.

Cliff

hi Cliff thank you for your most helpful reply this was the conclusion I came to in the swstor file lots of the originals have changed the date taken to the new file I have created but even so as you say I do not wish either to go around deleting each one

I think I will start some sort of other back up and delete the wd storage one

Thanks for bearing with me

I also would like WD to get some of synchro for this question

HI,

I have the impression that the WD Passport is restricted to using WD software. That is, other backup software, even Windows copy, would not work.

I’m thinking of just deleting everything on the Passport partition for my C drive, and starting over. Smartware works in the background and doesn’t take all that long. Right now the Windows partitions for C drive and an F drive only have 205GB, yet the Passport partition shows 285GB used. So that is 80GB of junk on the Passport and no simple way to remove it.

How would Syncrho handle recognize deleted flies that no longer need backu from files deleted by mistake?

Cliff

hi your last phrase is the big question !

I am thinking about the same as you although my passport ultra of 2TO is an external drive to backup my photos in the E disk I think it does take other applications as I have backed up some Kaspersky files on it without problem - the only inconvenience is that Kaspersky crypte their backup so I cannot easily see if all is OK whereas with WD backup I can visually see immediately if the last photos have been included

I am therefore going to undo my present WD backups - reset the schedule to only 1 backup and I will choose when I want to do it and leave the wdSWSTOR as they are

What a hassle for an old lady but I suppose it keeps my grey matter working

Perhaps someone at WD will do us all a favour a find

HI,

Please let us know how you make out with the new backup.

C

Hi can you read this ? I tried to reply to your mail but each time the mailer receiver bounced it otherwise I will retype it back onto the forum page

Sorry about this

Hi,

Yes I can read this. What email address di you use? Try [Deleted-privacy]

Cliff