Switching of hard disk scanning

I have 1 TB external seagate hard disk connected to the WDTV Live media player. It takes almost 30 mins to scan the entire disk every time. When I play any video during the time it is scanning, the video stucks and doesnt play for like 10 secs during every 1 min. It is not able to buffer the video when it is scanning.

After 30 mins, the scaning fails and it throws an error saying it could not collect all the videos. After this error, when I play from my hard disk I dont see this video stucking up problem.

Can some one please help me on the following.

1. Is there some way that I could switch off this scanning of hard disk?

2. Even if it scans, it should not throw the error. It should scan properly.

3. Is there a possibility to save or cache the scanned result of a scanning. So that it doesnt scan every time?

Regards

Ramki

Media Library = off?

1 Like

On your hard disc you will find a folder called .wdtv. This contains the database that the WDTV has created. It should only make the actual database once and then quickly update it. It may be that this database has become corrupted. If I were you I would delete the folder and then allow the WDTV to recreate it. This will take a bit of time but hopefully it may over come your problem.

1 Like

Just how many videos (and what types) do you have on that disc?  Even on a nearly full 1.5TB disc connected directly to the Live it only takes a few minutes for it  to scan (for me) and doesn’t appear to do this once it has written the thumbnail file (but, since yours doesn’t complete, I’m fairly sure that’s an issue).

Now, I only have three or four hundred movies on that disc (because they are blu-rays ripped at high def) so it may not be fair to compare.  And all of mine are MKV files (which the Live seems to digest extremely well).  But looking at your content would be the first place I’d start.

If it were me I’d erase the entire disc (because you MUST have it backed up anyway, correct?) and start adding  a few dozen at a time (or more depending on the type and size).  See if you can discern a pattern as to why kinds or how many files it likes and doesn’t like.  If you can get it to complete a scan it may not rescan (or at least not rescan the ones it’s already done). 

Media library = off worked. It is not scanning the hard disk any more.

However, I am still facing the problem of video getting stuck up when playing from my 1TB hard disk. I will try to move the data and check whether that goes away or not.

I suspect the problem may be the Seagate 1TB drive. I have had numerous problems with these drives. They seem to have trouble keeping data intact and rely heavily on crc corrective action which has caused a lot of trouble for my needs. Try a disc diagnostic test on the drive. I believe seatools is available for download although I am not sure how it will work on a usb drive. Good luck.

ramakicha wrote:

Media library = off worked. It is not scanning the hard disk any more.

However, I am still facing the problem of video getting stuck up when playing from my 1TB hard disk. I will try to move the data and check whether that goes away or not.

How are you playing the video now now that you have turned off the media library. Are you going via the folder?

Did you delete the folder .wdtv on your hard disc and then turn on media scanning and see if it works. Is it a particular video that gets stuck or is it all videos. What type of videos are they - mp4, mkv, avi, vob etc.

Have you reset the WDTV to factory defaults and recycled the power.?