Switch Aspect Ratio while video is playing (gen3)

Hi, 

Is there any way to switch aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 while a video is playing?

Currently the only way to change it, is to stop the video, then go into settings, change it there, then start the video again.

Surely assigning this option to a shortcut button on the remote control cannot be too difficult?

I have a lot of old tv programs in 4:3, and a few new ones in 16:9, and this problem is annoying over time.

Many other media players allow for this.

Many Thanks

Tim

fewtoots wrote:

Hi, 

Is there any way to switch aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 while a video is playing?

Currently the only way to change it, is to stop the video, then go into settings, change it there, then start the video again.

Your TV changes sizes randomly?

That’s what the SETTINGS menu item is changing – the TV’s aspect ratio, not the VIDEO’s aspect ratio.

The fact that changing that does affect video aspect is consequential.

The WD is designed to NOT distort video during playback.  It will ALWAYS play back using the correct aspect ratio.

I guess this is more of a video stretch issue, rather than aspect ratio, although changing the aspect ratio on the WD fixes my issue.

My video file is 640x480 4:3

WD Aspect: 16:9 - TV Aspect: 16:9 - Display:  4:3 with bars at either side (from WD)
WD Aspect: 16:9 - TV Aspect:  4:3 - Display:  4:3 now with 2 extra bars at either side (from WD and TV)

WD Aspect:  4:3 - TV Aspect:  4:3 - Display:  4:3 with bars at either side (from TV)
WD Aspect:  4:3 - TV Aspect: 16:9 - Display: 16:9 which is stretched to fit tv

This is what I want, for the 4:3 video to fit the whole screen to avoid leaving border traces on my panel.
The only way to stretch the 4:3 video to fit my whole screen, is to change the aspect ration on the WD.
A quick option to do this on the remote during video playback would be great, instead of going the long route.

~Tim

As you found out, here is no shortcut for changing the aspect ratio. Many people try to avoid stretching out 4:3 video to fill a widescreen TV because the resulting video is distorted. Stretching the 4:3 video causes everyone to look fat and squatty and everything else is also out of proportion.

When I first got my widescreen TV I tried stretching the 4:3 videos, but I found that I preferred the black bars on the side rather than distorting the video by stretching it. I guess some people are more sensitive to the video distortion tthan others. Have you tried just watching the 4:3 video the way that it was meant to be seen (with black bars)?

Yes, I can put up with the bars, but I’m worried about the effect this will have on my plasma tv.
The manual says to avoid long periods of display these bars, as it leaves traces.
I just don’t know how long this period is, 30 minutes, 5 hours? It doesn’t say.

I’d rather stretch the image to fill the whole screen to avoid this problem.

~Tim

I also have a Plasma TV. It is a Panasonic 2003 model. I have never worried about burn in, have always watched 4:3 video with black bars on the sides and there is no evidence of burn in. Newer Plasmas are even better regarding burn in. As long as you don’t watch 4:3 TV constantly, you don’t have too much to worry about. If you watch a few hours of 4:3 and then switch back to full screen content that should be no problem with today’s plasma TVs.

Back when I first got my plasma I was concerned about burn in, but I decided that I would try watching 4:3 content with black bars and very carefully watch for signs of burn in. It takes while for burn in to be permanent…so if I saw a problem, there would be plenty of time to switch to full screen viewing and eliminate the problem. However, I never saw any evidence of burn in.