Swapping usb hardrive from SMP to Gen 2

Having a problem with swapping my usb hardrive from my WDTV SMP to my WDTV gen 2. I only play files from my external hardrive nothing wirless at all. When I use my hardrive on my gen 2 player then plug it in my new SMP it never finds any movie files, it always says media library empty. Anyone with this same problem or any ideas how to fix? I hope I dont have to delete my wdtv fold on the hardriver everytime I got from one player to another. Thanks.

This makes me think that it’s actually using the same database files (or at least trying to.)

If that’s the case, the database files between the  two platforms are definitely NOT compatible with each other.

Try this — Yeah, I’m going to ask you to clear it.

Delete the .wd_tv folder on your PC.

Plug it into the OLDER WD, let it build.

Eject it.  Plug it back into your PC and get a directory listing of the .wd_tv folder and hold onto it.

Now delete it again, and plug it into the NEW WD and let it build.

Go back to the PC with the disk and again get a directory listing.

If ANY of the filenames are the same, then I’m guessing that’s what might be happening.

Thanks for the response. I’ll have to try that tonight when I get home. If that’s the case, I guess there wouldnt be much of a fix for it except for clearing my wdtv folder off my hardrive everytime I go back and forth from player to player?

Do you recall any similar posts on this forum regarding the same issue? I cant seem to find any.

Thanks.

Yeah, *if* that’s the case.   But I’d be shocked if WD didn’t consider that and make the media library for The Live/Live+ at least a different file name than the SMP/Hub are using…

I should mention too that I had no issue going back and forth between Gen 1 and Gen 2. **bleep** that I may have to sell off my SMP and go back to my Gen 1 just to swap a hardrive between the two units, I’m quite fond of the interface on the SMP.

Last night after testing, the WDTV smp creates a different file structure of files compared to the WDTV gen 2, however there are a few file names that are the same. It looks like everytime I go from player to player it just overwrites the existing wdtv folder on my hardrive, which should not create an issue. Of course I could not duplicate the error I had a few days ago, no matter what I did. Maybe I should start eject the HD the proper way instead of just powering down before I go from unit to unit. Any other thoughts on this before I move on? Thanks.

HenryFord wrote:

Last night after testing, the WDTV smp creates a different file structure of files compared to the WDTV gen 2, however there are a few file names that are the same. It looks like everytime I go from player to player it just overwrites the existing wdtv folder on my hardrive, which should not create an issue. Of course I could not duplicate the error I had a few days ago, no matter what I did. Maybe I should start eject the HD the proper way instead of just powering down before I go from unit to unit. Any other thoughts on this before I move on? Thanks.

Well, if you’re not manually ejecting the drive before you pull the cable, then you are risking corruption on the drive.  Keep doing it long enough and you’ll lose the partition.

Which shouldn’t be happening. If you do press OFF long enough to shut down the LIVE rather than send it to standby, it should eject the drive in the process automatically so corruption would no occur.