Suspendisse Eget Bibendum

Soooo I tried it again and I have the same issue. Bear in mind I just had it replaced so it was another new, bootable NAS before I started.

One thing to note to anyone who tries this with a new EX2 Ultra that the base firmware version is 2.x.x not 1.x like pictured.

Be warned… trying to revert the firmware on a new EX2 Ultra will brick your device.

Maybe I am less suspicious of hidden agendas. . .

. . . .however, I am also interested in NOT using 2.41,116. . . so if there is another source. . . . HA! I just found 2.40.155 on a hard drive! Eggsellent.

Also, I suspect that the NAS unit may be picky about what IP address they grab. Are you checking what devices are on the router? Are you using one of the “private” IP ranges, such as 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x?

Allow me to clarify…
I was able to connect via ssh to the device and execute the provided commands, reboot and get to the device in safemode which shows a firmware version 2.xx.xxx. However, as clearly indicated by your screenshot, your base firmware is 1.01.004.

I successfully apply the My_Cloud_BVBZ_2.41.116.bin OS3 version and am prompted that the device will reboot. Your instructions say “After uploading the OS3 firmware, and the NAS has finished rebooting, power it off again and reinsert the hard drives.” This is where I begin to have problems. My device NEVER reboots. Yes it went through the reboot process, then all lights turned red, I power it off and back on… nothing. Red lights, doesn’t appear on the network, no access, no agenda.

I am curious, though, why would you immediately suggest something nefarious. Clearly there is a difference (a difference I realized too late) between the older base firmware that successfully allows you to downgrade, and the newer base firmware that has not allowed me to downgrade on two separate devices. What’s the upside for me? What’s in it for me? All I am pointing out is that this may not work for everybody and they should be cautious. I’ve spent my own money purchasing devices and bricking them. How does that benefit me? How can one extrapolate there is an agenda??

I was in safemode with a base firmware of 2.x.x. Question: Are you testing with a brand new device? I am. New devices are shipping with a newer base firmware. I’d be happy to send you one. PM me.

I provide my full name, look me up; not a troll, never posted to the site until I tried to downgrade the firmware. Again look me up (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).

The useful information, as you called it, was provided in my post yesterday. I know what red lights mean on the drives, it means they, the drives, need to be incorporated, adopted, etc. (if I didn’t use the correct term, surely you understand what I mean). All lights are red, which clearly indicates something entirely different.

The device is not on the network; scanning reveals nothing (related to the device).

In order to access the dashboard one would browse to the IP address of the device. Since the device is not on the network, there is no dashboard to access.

Again the burning question (for me anyway) is why can’t my situation be true (Answer: because it worked for you?), but are our circumstances the same? To employ the scientific method, and ensure repeatable results, the scenario must be the same. In this scenario (which is completely my fault for not paying closer attention) is your base firmware (the version that displays in safemode) is different than the base firmware on mine. If I could get to the device in safemode I’d provide a pic, but alas, I cannot.

It is possible that you could be wrong. Just sayin.

Fascinating.

I have speculated that WD may have done a Rescue Firmware update.
I would have expected that firmware to be updated with a standard OS/5 operating firmware update.

I wonder how you can figure out what rescue firmware is on a machine?
Then I suppose we might have to add a step to the regression process where the first step is to replace the rescue firmware.

I would surprised though, that loading OS/3 with Rescue2.x results in a brick. . .I would have expected that the firmware update would simply fail. . . .and keep failing until you try an OS/5 firmware.

So. . .step one. . . we have a hurting EX2.

• If you look at your router. . . can you verify from the router that the EX2 is not getting an ip address? Verify that router DHCP is enabled.

• Perhaps the Rescue2.x rescue firmware restricts ip addresses? Is your network using a private ip range (192.168.x.x) or something else?

• When in doubt. . .reboot the network. :wink: Maybe you will get lucky.

I still want to believe that if you load bad firmware. . .you should still be able to boot to the root firmware.

. . . .unless it is deliberate.

But most of WD stuff is bumbling, rather than devious

I purchased another device (be here next week) and would be glad to send you the dump. Let me know if you’re still curious.

Wow. How many of these devices are you buying?
I know they are cheap. . .but still.

I take it that you did basic networking troubleshooting (swap cables, etc.); verified that DHCP isn’t working.

Is the device even talking to the network? (Lights on the lan port)

Well.

I do not know why @dwsv42 deletes posts. . .including the instruction set for reversion

(HUH - - - and this thread got moved to “Announcements - off topic”. . . .WTH)

BUT. . . . .google remembers.

I pulled the trigger and downgraded my EX2 Ultra from FW 5.08.xxx to FW 2.40.155
The process was very quick. . .about what you expect for a firmware installation.
The process was very straightforward.

Prudence suggests pulling drives before doing something like this. I don’t like prudence. I didn’t pull drives. . .and all the data shares were preserved.

(Configuration of users etc. was not. . .as to be expected in a process that deliberately wipes the configuration files. . .)