[Survey] Twonky media server: Where do you store your media?

Like you I had massive problems trying to use the default “shared folders”.

It’s all right; coincidentally (or otherwise), ‘support’ emailed me today to say they couldn’t reproduce the problem*.  We’re obviously imagining things…  I’ve replied to them pointing them to my FAQ thread, and suggesting they go and speak to PacketVideo to find out how Twonky works, and to resolve the control conflict between Twonky UI and the Dashboard.

Anyway, I had a good read of the entire user manual again last night, to see what it has to say about where to put media.  And it’s adamant that the ‘Shared Media’ folders are where you’re meant to put it:

p21:

p22:

[qoute]

1. Double-click the Public folder to display the Shared Music, Shared Pictures, and Shared Videos subfolders. You can now drag and drop files into and from the shared media folders using Windows Explorer.

[/quote]

p63:

p101/102:

My italics.  I note that this advice about using the Twonky UI to make changes to the Twonky operation somewhat contradicts the statement here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3299/~/how-to-access-the-twonky-media-server-on-a-wd-my-cloud,-ex2,-ex4,-my-book-live,

Whoa!  There’s a whole load of new stuff describing the Twonky settings that has recently been added to that page!  Maybe moaning does have some effect, after all…

I still don’t think it’s acceptable to provide an advertised feature of the product (the media server), and then not support it.

‘Last Updated 01/24/2015’

Of note:

I note the use of underscores in the folder names; very sensible…

But if you stop and restart media streaming (or do a System Restore, or a firmware upgrade), all your changes will be lost, and it will drop back to the default /Public

Also of note:

cf this problem report:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Adding-Admin-Password-to-Twonky-breaks-Content-Scan/m-p/848655

And some not so helpful advice:

Why not explain to the user what to enter here?  Or do WD not know what to enter here?

Reading that page carefully, it becomes apparent that whoever wrote that ‘guide’ doesn’t really understand Twonky, or doesn’t understand how to write a user guide; they’ve just gone though the UI settings and listed them, or re-phrased the descriptions already provided on the Twonky UI.  For instance, it says I can clear Twonky’s cache.  Yes, I managed to read that control myself.  But why would I want to clear Twonky’s cache?  What is Twonky’s cache, and what effect will clearing it have?

* to be fair to them, they are at least trying to help.  But they want system log files, and I’m not prepared to release data from my system that I don’t understand; the system logs seem very large, and I don’t know what they contain.  Yes, I’m living up to my moniker…  It’s not just paranoia, though; the problem seems so simple and obvious, I really don’t think system logs are necessary, or will help.

1 Like