Sure would be nice to use a hard drive with live tv

I would like to use the usb port to plug in a W.D hard drive.  It worked until I unplugged and copied some more movies to it.  I am sending this turd back if I can’t use the hard drive with it.  It’s a 1.5 TB

If the external hard drive is not working after you unplugged it. Did you remember to press the eject button on the remote control before you disconnected it from the WD TV?

It’s ironic (and somewhat moronic) when someone posts their first message and starts dissing their new WD player because they don’t know how to use it.  Download the complete user guide for your unit and RTFM.

mike27oct wrote:

It’s ironic (and somewhat moronic) when someone posts their first message and starts dissing their new WD player because they don’t know how to use it.  Download the complete user guide for your unit and RTFM.

Whats that in aid of, has somebody upset you today?

He seems to know how to use it but can’t understand why the hard disk is now not recognised. We don’t know that he pulled the hard disk without ejecting it. Some users have had a similar problem where one minute a disk is recognised and the next minute its gone.

richUK wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

He seems to know how to use it but can’t understand why the hard disk is now not recognised. We don’t know that he pulled the hard disk without ejecting it. Some users have had a similar problem where one minute a disk is recognised and the next minute its gone.

There is not enough information to really know what he did, but I would bet $10 he unplugged the drive without ejecting it, brought it to a PC and put more files on it and then reconnected it to the WD,;all the while the WD was on.  A drive connected to the WD after it is booted up does not get recognized, and the WD needs to be rebooted to see the drive.   This scenerio will definitely cause the problem described.  In any event, the situation does not justify calling the WD Live “a turd” as he did in his initial post. 

mike27oct wrote:

richUK wrote:

mike27oct wrote:

There is not enough information to really know what he did, but I would bet $10 he unplugged the drive without ejecting it, brought it to a PC and put more files on it and then reconnected it to the WD,;all the while the WD was on.  A drive connected to the WD after it is booted up does not get recognized, and the WD needs to be rebooted to see the drive.   This scenerio will definitely cause the problem described.  In any event, the situation does not justify calling the WD Live “a turd” as he did in his initial post. 

“I would like to use the usb port to plug in a W.D hard drive.  It worked until I unplugged and copied some more movies to it.  I am sending this **bleep** back if I can’t use the hard drive with it.  It’s a 1.5 TB”

(I have bleeped the offending word and now it looks like all the other frustrated posts which we reply to constantly)

In reply to this I normally expect  a requst for more information or a reasoned guess but I certainly would not expect a reply like yours. This was his first post  and no doubt he was frustrated.  Its quite normal for users to ‘dis’ the player especially if its not working properly however the board normally automatically ‘bleeps’ the offending word, in this case it obliviously does not have this word in its ‘dictionary’. If you are offended by ‘turd’ you should be doubly offended by ‘RTFM’. Obviously your last post is that well reasoned ‘guess’ which the original poster should now follow or reply to (if he shows his face again!)

richUK

Chill, Mate.  I was not offended by the guy’s use of a 4-letter word, but I was totally put off by his attitude.  Heck, he was asking for help the first time. so politeness is in order in MHO.

BTW, since when is the acronym  RTFM a “bad word”?  Doesn’t it mean: “read the full manual” ?   :slight_smile:

So, “lesson learned” for me; next time a first time poster comes across as crass to me, I will move on and let someone else deal with him/her, as I prefet to help folks who are not so abrasive.