Support for 1080p24 playback

That is the whole point of this thread… it’s bad…

Sorry but i didn t try high bitrate… only *.mkv between 10 to 18 gigas… and so far it is perfect with the b-rad firmare…

My MKVs between those sizes are really juddery. Every few seconds the image seems to pause slightly and eventually the audio slips so the mouth of the actors is moving before there is any sound for the speech. Either its a firmware issue or the Amlogic chip causing the problems. I’m hoping its the former rather than the latter as that can’t be changed. I’m trying to convert the file into a smaller size via Handbrake to see if that changes anything as currently I’m just going through loads of different settings/conversions to get this thing to work properly. Really annoying as so far no real ureaka moment :frowning:

Dee1707 wrote:

Yokbob833

How is WDTV with high bitrate BLU-RAY files? Is it smooth with no audio problems?

Don’t know about the elements play but both versions 1 & 2 of the WDTV play all my full quality m2ts rips perfectly. This includes the HUGE Avatar file at well over 40bitrate, over 40GB in size and external srt subs.

It’s a real shame this was built by WD. On the face of it, this is my perfect player…No annoying networking and a large built in 2TB drive. But wait what’s this…no 24p playback for a device so prominently advertised for full HD playback. I’m betting this has that lurvely EU power chip in it too that does such a good job or arsing up the current Gen2. Unlike that player though there’s no previous firmware to roll back to if there are issues if it is included. At least we can rely on trusty WD to bring out regular firmwares…oh no I forgot, they’re too busy bringing out endless new players instead, how many are we up to now!?!

Blu-ray rips are rubbish without 24p pulldown as they skip really noticably when objects or camera pans move in a steady direction. If I play mine on our non 24p HD ready TVs it’s there for all to see but as soon as I use my 1080p 24p TV…smooth as silk…aside from the very small amount of pan stutter you do always get with TV but is barely noticable.

If you’re listening WD…get these things playing 24p blu-ray files as reliable as a Gen 1 WDTV and i’ll buy many…but I  won’t hold my breath.

Do these have the ability to access external USB drives aswell ie: can you plaug in a 2TB drive and get a hefty 4TB of storage with only 2 PSU’s

as soon as I use my 1080p 24p TV…smooth as silk…aside from the very small amount of pan stutter you do always get with TV but is barely noticable.

That’s a definite contradiction.   You should NEVER, EVER see judder if display rate and source rate are identical.   NEVER.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

as soon as I use my 1080p 24p TV…smooth as silk…aside from the very small amount of pan stutter you do always get with TV but is barely noticable.

That’s a definite contradiction.   You should NEVER, EVER see judder if display rate and source rate are identical.   NEVER.

You’re too easy to bait Tony…I threw you that little bone in some deluded belief you wouldn’t harp on with your pro WD…everything has stutter speech. My 1080 24p is silky smooth, and i’m NOT getting sucked into how TV and framerates stutter don’t expect a reaction if you try.  :smileyvery-happy:

No worries… 

Just don’t want people to be confused by incorrect information is all… :wink:

Bad new guys!

I just tried this new firmware and it still doesn’t support 1080p@24p. Mr Judder is still our movie partner :frowning:

Come on WD! Keep working on that!

Regards

My Mandarin and Russian isn’t too good, but I can’t find anything saying that the Amlogic 8626H chip is capable of 1080p24 output.

From what I can see, many of the other players built around this chip don’t even bother with 1080 at all and only output at 720p, but I can’t find anything saying the chip will output 1080p24.

I’m not quite sure how WD’s supposed to add something that the chip isn’t capable of.  If it can’t do it, it can’t do it.