Summary of bugs found in 1.04.22_V firmware

OLD BUGS:

• Can’t login to facebook, it keeps displaying “no network connection is detected. Please setup the network connection of your WD TV to use this feature”. UNFIXED!.

• If audio output is set to “digital” there is sound from the tv only playing dvds (iso or video_ts folder) but no sound playing mkv or m2ts with 5.1 audio. UNFIXED!.

• The edges in photos are not sharp. UNFIXED!.

NEW BUG:

• After rewind or fast forward in dvds, info bar keeps displaying, you have to press enter once to hide it.

FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE BUGS IF YOU WANT.

BD-iso’s.
Some stream-folders contain the movie in a single .m2ts-file.
If movie is in multiple .m2ts-files, WD-player only plays the first one, not the whole movie.

/Fenka

As posted earlier and after reply from WD Test Engineer

96khz downsampled to 48khz - still not fixed , although release info states it is.

Need confirmation from WD that this will be fixed, as it has been in the WD Hub.

And a date for the fix would be nice.

I still cannot get ac3 audio though HDMI, Optical is fine.

Movie sheets, how about that?
Been waitin a long time for sheets in official FW.
Please WD, are you working on it?
Have you tried to implement movie sheets?
Any plans?

If B-RAD can do it, so can you… :slight_smile:

/Fenka

How exactly is the fact that WD hasn’t incorporated movie sheets into their firmware a “bug”?

And you might want to re-think your “If B-RAD can do it, so can you” stance.  B-Rad says that WDLXTV will never be available as a flashable firmware based on WD1.04… it’s too big and won’t fit in the NAND.  The future of WDLXTV is to have a flashable FW based on 1.02 or 1.03, and then have the remaining apps on a USB stick.  So, if B-Rad can’t add moviesheets to a flashable 1.04 firmware, what makes you think WD can?

ricardorb6 wrote:

OLD BUGS:

• If audio output is set to “digital” there is sound from the tv only playing dvds (iso or video_ts folder) but no sound playing mkv or m2ts with 5.1 audio. UNFIXED!.

NEW BUG:

• After rewind or fast forward in dvds, info bar keeps displaying, you have to press enter once to hide it.

I am not experiencing either of these two “bugs” on either of my WD TV Live players running 1.01.22_V.

RoofingGuy wrote:

How exactly is the fact that WD hasn’t incorporated movie sheets into their firmware a “bug”?

And you might want to re-think your “If B-RAD can do it, so can you” stance.  B-Rad says that WDLXTV will never be available as a flashable firmware based on WD1.04… it’s too big and won’t fit in the NAND.  The future of WDLXTV is to have a flashable FW based on 1.02 or 1.03, and then have the remaining apps on a USB stick.  So, if B-Rad can’t add moviesheets to a flashable 1.04 firmware, what makes you think WD can?

• *It should be easy… skip all that crappy apps like facebook, flicker etc.
      It’s a media PLAYER, the focus should be playing media files (movies, music, photos).
      Don’t tell me they can’t, of course they can. Relese an alternative updated official FW without the apps for the benefit of movie sheets.

Yes, you’re right, it’s not a bug. It’s an addition to the wish-list…

Maybe a little off topic too

sorry for my bad english

/Fenka

I never post, but here’s my 2-cents regarding Movie Sheets vs Net apps…

As a media player, yes, the faceboock, net apps, blahh blah… are extranious.

But all movie sheets are is glorified movie posters.

I tinkered around with the sheet generators for another media center solution (PC Based) and found that I was spending more time fiddling and tweaking the stupid program than enjoying my media.

I’m glad there is no movie sheet option. It would over-complicate the device.

I see the extra apps you propose to replace as a quirky extra for the player. Kinda like a spoiler and rims on a car. Not needed at all, but some folks like em.

If you really desire these Movie sheets, it seems it would be better to find a device that explicitly supports them, rather than try to get the dev ppl to shoehorn it into a package that really wasn’t built for it.

-edit :forgot to address the topic

As for BUGS in this release… I havent found any and only have one problem with the interface.

My CRT overscans and would enjoy it if the machine would remember the 0.9x zoom.

My Setup:

CRT TV

WDTV Live Plus (Composite and Steroe A/V conections)

WRT54GX2 Router (Wireless Disabled, so everything is wired)

USB WD MyBook (4 year Old one)

simple means fewer things to break

How can it be  a summary of bugs and have a wishlist in there?

They arent bugs!

If you want to list the bugs, list JUST the bugs!

2 bugs that I’ve seen

1. Vobs over wireless -  WD are aware of

2. using the seek function (rev & fwd) has the info bar remain

Are any plans to fix Russian language for menus and options?! I hoped that  8 BIT and 12 BIT will be changed to “8 Бит” & “12 Бит”, but after update still see “кусочков” (pieces in English). And many other texts must be corrected also!

.mp4’s that played before upgrade aren’t playing for me now.

I still have an issue with a legthly delay from file selection till it actually plays (5 secs)

Bug: SUBTITLES SYSTEM SETTING IS NOT PERSISTENT in 1.04_22V. . set  Setting>Video>Subtitles to ON. This is not persistent. It appears that the device turns this off, either because a video plays in preview or the device has been turned off.

Fix to implement: If a user explicitly navigates to tthe setting menu to turn subtitles on then leave them on unless the user retruns to the same menu to turn them off. This setting must be persistent after reboots and nothing should change this setting as it does at the moment.

This is the single most irritating bug with WdTV Live, Everytime I fire up the device I have to go to settings>Video and check if the subtitles are on. They have often been turned off. Please fix this, if you go to the trouble of navigating to the subtitles system setting to turn it on then why would the device decide to turn them off afterwards. I registered on this forum with the sole intention of asking for this bug to be fixed.

HI,

After Upgrade, I am facing Streaming over LAN network frequently for any kind of video file. Any idea?

There are some menu bug. See on screenshots. 

It seems OK in Settings menu:

shot1.JPG

Some elements disappearing occur in Video, Music, Photo menus:

shot2.JPG

Model : 

WDBAAP0000NBK-EESN

European

Toslink Optical Audio Output amplifies with +8dB  ( up to +10dB ),  0 would be correct.

This is affecting on all normalized Audio which is then Distorted / Clipping/ buzzing  getting this extra amplify boost.

ATM the only solution for this is Hardware resetting the WD Live with the sidereset plug and keeping the WD forever “Powererd ON” .

Once you power down the Amplifying is back entirely til lyou again do a HW Reset.

I tested this on 4 WD Live  & several AV Receivers  because i thought i have perhaps had 2 faulty Models, but 4 is too much to have 4 faulty WD Live :slight_smile:

Once you reduce up to -10dB from any normalized Audio the Distortions/Clippings  are entirely away and it sounds candy even if you power down and power on again.

The atm Factory Reset  Audio Level is the BEST and whats coded in the Firmware atm is entirely wrong.

I am not a technician but if its super after a Factory reset and it fails again directly after you first time Power down

something seems to overwrite the Audiolevel and adds the +8 /+10 dB amplifying once you Standby.

So please take care of this soon, this is a huge  thing :slight_smile:

If the technical Support would like to get example Audios uploaded anywhere inisde WD its no problem.

I have a  fast Line.

Has the bug introduced a few firmwares ago been fixed where when a video file is paused the screen saver does not come on?

The down mixing from AC3 5.1 to stereo has been broken since firmware 1.02.21.

When using a stereo system or TV stereo speakers alone, the 2 channel are MUCH louder than 5.1 (main movie) track.

Many sources now  only provide a 5.1 main movie audio track.

This low volume / 5.1 to stereo down mixing problem is serious and well overdue for fixing.

(The problem is NOT a rip problem and exists for all firmware from 1.02.xx through 1.04.22)

My WD TV Live does not SHOW any .MOV files anymore let alone play any of them. I am not entirely sure it is a problem with this firmware or the previous one however I know for sure it is recent. I have never had a problem with playing these files before but now the WD does not even show them??? Unbelievable!

It has always supported these files so why not now? I created these .MOV files from iMovie and they have always worked without any issues. I’ve created a bunch of family movies in the .MOV format so this better be fixed in the near future. 

Bring on a new version of the firmware and hopefully it fixes this issue

MikeF wrote:

The down mixing from AC3 5.1 to stereo has been broken since firmware 1.02.21.

When using a stereo system or TV stereo speakers alone, the 2 channel are MUCH louder than 5.1 (main movie) track.

Many sources now do not only provide a 5.1 main movie audio track.

This low volume / 5.1 to stereo down mixing problem is serious and well overdue for fixing.

(The problem is NOT a rip problem and exists for all firmware from 1.02.xx through 1.04.22)

+1 for this

It seems to not get any Interest in WD to fix this same as the Toslink amplifying which destroys every good quality Audio listening experiance on that Player.

Normalized Audio is clipping / distorted while AC3 Stereo Downmix is so quiet that i have to turn my Volume level to NUTS

like 50% of even possible Mode compared to 10% ( Stereo Listening ).

I experienace that the AC3 Downmix is also wrong because the Sound effects and Music is much louder ( just a compare)  then the Voices. You hear like explotions and jump on your couch and the voices are like whispering…

This is on my TV ( Stereo) and my AV Receivers ( Stereo Settings).

This is no way a enjoying experiance and i am tired of statments like “its normal that AC3 is more quiet then Stereo”

My LG TV Mediaplayer behaves exactly the same and it uses a Sigma chip.

Perhaps the WD has the same Chip which produces that whispering quality Downmixing dunno and they cannot fix that technically?

But if  you say before the 1.02x Firmware it was working then it should be fixable.

And please people do not say again " but on 5.1 Systems its entirely oki"

its messing up on Stereo Downmixing much atm.

:slight_smile:

Re: problem maintaining correct volume levels when downmixing 5.1 to stereo

I mentioned it earlier in the thread. This is a problem when many main titles only have a 5.1 audio channel

My problem occurs for ISOs/VOBs.

I’m new to the area so my workaround may be well known!

Work around:

Use an MKV container (no transcoding of the IOS). I use “Makemkv” which in a few minutes produces an MKV for each title in the ISO. One of them is the main movie - title*.mkv. You get files roughly the same size as the ISO as you’d expect.

I play title*.mkv  and have no downmixing audio problem.

All audio channels - main movie 5.1, commentary 2 channel etc all at same volume.

BUT you need to use the menu option for chapter selection.

I’m more convinced the firmware can be (easily?) fixed.