Suggested improvements in Smartware

Hi,

Yesterday I purchaseed WD Passport 500 GB USB 3 drive. I tried the Smartware application and observed a few things that can be built into the system. Right now you have the option of backing up all the content of the selected content (Documents, picture, mail etc.). It does not let me backup content that I want to target specifically.

My suggestions:

1. There should be an option to choose file exentions that I want to get backed up rather than “Documents” in general. I may want to only backup MS office documents and not any other file extensions.

2. In case of Other files, there must be a choice given to user to specify file extensions or go with default settings.

3. In Mail backup option, I should be able to tell the application what file extensions in which folder can I want to get backed up. For example, I use Lotus Notes email system and it creates nsf file. In lotus notes, several system and application files are with extension .nsf. So when I only want to backup my mail file only (not any other nsf files) I may choose the particular folder in which I store my mail nsf file. This would make Smartware more precise.

4. There should be a provision of specifying a a directory or subdirectory for full backup (e.g c:\dump\office). Makes life easier if you put all your important content in one directory tree.

As currently the Smartware is lacking in these areas, I have uninstalled it. Only using the drive encryption (password protection) feature. Hope you would take this feedback constructively.

Thanks.

Your post sounds more like a good Feature Request; the best place for this, is in the Ideas Exchange section. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it and will allow more users to support your idea.

However, I would first search and make sure that there are no other active Feature Requests suggesting the same or similar improvements. If there is, then you could add your post and vote on it.

Software & Accessory Ideas