Suddenly can only get relay connection (server problem?)

The internal UPNP Media server stuff isn’t WAN is it?

Edit:  I see you are on linksysinfo.org as well…

:slight_smile:

jsmiddleton4 wrote:

The internal UPNP Media server stuff isn’t WAN is it?

No it’s not.  UPNP is basically a standard for devices to talk to each other.  The drive supports multiple kinds:

1. Talking to a router to open ports (i.e. acting as a client)

2. Listening for connections as a media server (i.e acting as a server).

1. Listening for connections as a media server (i.e acting as a server).

That’s the part I can’t seem to get working.  All the other networked attached devices that “serve” up media devices via UPNP DLNA work fine.  Are found, media player finds the files being “served”, etc.  The WD Lives the files despite having the share media set in the shares are not found via upnp. 

Regular network and NFS search finds the files just fine on all networked attached devices including the WD’s. 

Edit:  If I enable Twonky my media players can both find the Twonky server on the WD Lives. 

The Twonky server is the UPNP media server. That needs to be on to access your media via UPNP as that’s what the drive uses to serve UPNP. SAMBA access is completely different.

What is the Media Server options in Shares setup for then?

When I enable the media options in Shares I get folders for video, pictures, audio. 

Twonky creates its own folders. 

I am a bit confused and so that is why I’m asking.

The manual is a bit vague on that, but I believe the media share options are for what type of media is allowed to be shared. I believe this is for remote sharing, but I’m not sure exactly. The manual just says it let’s you choose what can be streamed from a share, but it also says Twonky shares from the public shares and to use a non-sharing private shares, so the media share options may be to set up what is shared by Twonky by default. You’d be better off asking the question in a new thread as it really has nothing to do with this thread.

Thanks for letting me step on your thread a bit.  I have posted a separate thread on the UPNP questions.   It gets very confusing when all the pieces in a networked system interact with each other.  Before I can identify where the problem lies I want to know how things are suppose to work in the first place.  Often times things are working as intended but it seems like they are having issues.  If that makes any sense.

So, how’s the update on this thing?

i was thinking a small script would do fine, if you use dynamic dns, you could refer to your domain’s ip as the external ip address.

having bad time also with this port forwarding remote access problems.

xammy wrote:

So, how’s the update on this thing?

i was thinking a small script would do fine, if you use dynamic dns, you could refer to your domain’s ip as the external ip address.

having bad time also with this port forwarding remote access problems.

This is supposed to be fixed in the 02.11.12-060 update that was released on June 26, but the update was pulled.  As such I haven’t had a chance to test the fix.  It’s supposed to come out (again) next week.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/New-Release-My-Book-Live-Firmware-Version-02-11-12-060-6-26-12/m-p/428094#M12370

Just thought I would chime in here with a quick update on the (great) snooping Morac has already done…

I’m on firmware 02.11.12-060

I looked further through the logs that Morac previously pointed out, and noticed that there was a call to load up the REST API endpoints from a globalconfig.ini file (/var/www/Admin/webapp/config/globalconfig.ini).

In that file, there is a section for [portforward] that has the API endpoints listed.

You can manually insert your external IP address into this file in two places:

REMOTE_SETFORWARDURL : find the parameter ip=%s in that URL, and replace %s with your actual external IP

REMOTE_TESTPORTURL : same as above, but this time it’s external_ip=%s, and replace with your actual external IP again.

I haven’t fully tested this yet, but I’m trying it now…  [fingers crossed] and figured I would add to the examination.

The problem is supposed to be fixed with 02.11.12-060.  If it’s not that would be disappointing.  There’s actually a newer firmware, 02.32.05-144, that just got released, but I haven’t tried that yet.

I remember looking at globalconfig.ini, but decided to not hard code my ip address in it in case it changes (which it does a few times a year).

Edit:

Apparently 02.32.05-144 is only available for people who installed 02.32.05-044, which was pulled.  So we have to wait for the next firmware update.

I’m really annoyed that this wasn’t fixed in the just released 02.32.05-046 firmware.  

The exact same problem is there, namely the external ip address is never sent.

I simply disabled “Communcation Manager” by modifying the /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/globalconfig.ini to change the “Communcation Manager” enable command from “enable” to “disable”.  

I then manually set up port forwarding using the commands I mentioned before.  To do that you simply need your external ip address, your port forwared ports (http and ssl), your device ID and device authentication code.  The later two can be found on the drive itself in the dynamicconfig.ini file or the Orion logs (if you enable logging).

I’m posting the “response” I got from WDC support simply to point out the futility of contacting support since the response is in badly mangled English (such that I’m not even sure what he is saying) and the steps the person suggests and blaiming my ISP are laughable considering I can currently get a direct connection to my drive using my manual method. 

[Deleted]