Success recover my MyCloud 3TB with fast blue blinking light after update firmware!

Hi the recovery file is no longer available. could you upload again? Thanks

Original instructions and files is here: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/

Hello Fox.exe As above, I was able to recover my Gen 2 mycloud using the instructions in this post. Is the procedure exactly the same (and the same recovery file) for the Gen 1 device, except for the 4.xx.xx firmware file?

There are directions both in English and Russian located at this link for how to unbrick a first gen single bay My Cloud.

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/

The files one generally uses for the gen1 unbrick can be found at this link:

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Backups/

Thanks. Yes, I studied the files on this site and, frankly, can’t make head-nor-tail of them. The “English” instructions are, aside from the actual code, in Russian and the files in the Gen 1 folders are so different from those in the Gen 2 description that I can;t figure out how to use them.

The English directions are in English: https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Replace%20HDD%20-%20English.txt

Generally what one does is attach the hard drive to be unbricked to a computer running Linux. From there one issues, using the Linux Terminal, the various commands. On the Linux PC one would download and extract either the original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz file or the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz file and push them as directed to the various partitions the directions indicate.

One can use a Linux boot disc/flash drive to boot their PC into Linux. Ubuntu is one such popular Linux distro.

Thanks Bennor. I read through everything in this website previously. Unfortunately, it is mostly Greek to me! I can usually follow instructions but I’m not a programmer or network whiz and can’t follow this once it gets into the ubuntu/debian/unix universe. Luckily, my 1st gen (040.xx.xxx) MyCloud hasn’t crapped out on me yet so I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope it stays this way.

Hello, the link to download the file usbrecovery.tar.gz doesnt work anymore. Is is possible to provide another link? My MyCloud device did not react well to a loss of power and is now displaying a yellow light and not working anymore… Thank you for your help.

Hey @Fox_exe, really awesome stuff you’re doing and all. I was just wondering if you have any insights on the following. I followed all the steps to the letter, and now I am stuck on the safe mode page with no version number, and selecting the right firmware does nothing as well. I tried using the alternate method via telnet and all, and it does not seem to work or boot for me too, still stuck on the same. Thanks!

Hello
I’m trying to download the files. However I can’t access the recovery file. Is anyone able to share this please?

For anyone who need to fix the problem, let me share my procedure below to you and hope this help.

1. Download these files:
    The product support site only gives you the latest (but faulty FW). Don’t pick this. Pick the FW from:

WD firmware (Version 2.31.163). Store it in your laptop.

Recovery (WD Recovery + My miniOS)

1. Use any USB Flash drive, format it to FAT32 (Important!)

For me is it the same. Could you already find a soluton? Could it be, that the uImage uRamdisk datas for the safe/recovery modus from @Fox_exe are not correct working for every My Cloud Gen2 Devices? Is there any possibility to upload and install the firmeware bin data via USB Stick?

I managed to get it back up and working with quite a bit of elbow grease, and the help of my raspberry pi with a 3.5" HDD adapter. It’ll involve you taking apart the WD MyCloud, and in my case, I had to reformat it too.

You can check out the thread I followed here, WD MyCloud Stuck in safe Mode - #20 by ronaldyeojz. I had to google translate some of the parts but do look out for the commands portion as google translate will mess those up.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

I’m stuck exactly the same way as you. Can you elaborate on your fix? Is it a software fix or did it involve some hardware messing around? Many thanks!

It definitely requires some hardware messing around. I reckon when you are at the stage where the firmware number does not show up, you will probably need to reformat the whole disk? I tried with other files using the same steps but it just does not restore the firmware number for me, and in the end I went with taking apart the set, and restoring it through my raspberry pi system.

I wasn’t using my Cloud from about a year and now I stuck. I followed that steps and currently I’m uploading new version of firmware but I’m wondering how it is possible that running safe mode requires so complicated efforts? Why WD didn’t release that files (recovery). Why it is unofficial workaround? How it is possible that large company like WD left me without any help with broken device?

I made my decision, if I will manage to recover files I will upload them to onedrive. I’ve already bought subscription and will never trust WD again :frowning:

All we users can do is guess and speculate. WD will likely never answer those questions. The single bay My Cloud is a very basic network attached storage device that had several compromises made to it by WD. The inability to recover the unit when the single drive dies is just one compromise. Its one reason why the My Cloud includes a backup option to back itself up to a USB hard drive attached to the unit. At least we users are lucky some other user(s) figured out how to circumvent this limitation and restore firmware to the hard drive. Which by the way allows one to put a larger hard drive inside the My Cloud enclosure if the existing hard drive dies or one wants more space.

There are tradeoffs to using real cloud storage just as there are tradeoffs to using devices like a single bay My Cloud. Main disadvantage to having one’s data stored offsite, beyond security issues or storage company data mining one’s data, is the need to have internet access in order to access that OneDrive data. Second major issue is the cost of the cloud subscription service if one needs a large amount of storage (multi TB). It will add up and may end up costing significantly more than even more full featured network attached storage devices from manufacturers like; WD, Synology and Qnap. And there are numerous benefits to both storage methods as well.

Generally those network attached storage devices (diskless) where a user supplies their own hard drive, will have recovery methods available.

Same here now after trying to re-install the image. Not sure what to do next

Hello my WD Cloud 3TB failed after trying to update to OS5.

I’m able to access safe mode, but it stuck on spinner without percentage. Just spinning… No firmware version seen in safe mode window. What can I do?hkj

Another solution for "firmware version: (BLANK) here: