Stuttering VOBs..............................STILL!

richUK wrote:

You obviously do not read the rest of the forum. This is the least of its problems.

You’re right, Rich, I don’t read about the problems on the rest of the forum and I doubt they read about mine.  The fact that this problem is on the bottom of WD’s list is not the issue.  The fact that it has been on the bottom for years is an issue IMHO.  If, as you claim, WDs other problems are of such greater magnitude that they can justify ignoring this one then their image takes an even bigger hit to me.  The WD Live, Plus & Hub are clearly flawed products based upon the frequency and magnitude of the problems reported on this forum.  IMHO, they should be withdrawn from the marketplace because they have been unable to correct the issues or have created others with their firmware “upgrades”.  Instead, they continue to market these products aggressively with false advertising, IMHO.  I hope I’ve made my case for their tarnished image.

ram1009 wrote:

The WD Live, Plus & Hub are clearly flawed products based upon the frequency and magnitude of the problems reported on this forum.  IMHO, they should be withdrawn from the marketplace because they have been unable to correct the issues or have created others with their firmware “upgrades”.  Instead, they continue to market these products aggressively with false advertising, IMHO.  I hope I’ve made my case for their tarnished image.

They are may not be ‘flawed’ for all users. For instance I don’t use vobs, iso files work perfectly and life is too short to wait for maybe fixes.

I’m not sure where you have seen this aggressive advertising as all the players are now getting rather old. In fact you would find it very difficult to buy a plus or hub now. 

richUK wrote:

ram1009 wrote:

The WD Live, Plus & Hub are clearly flawed products based upon the frequency and magnitude of the problems reported on this forum.  IMHO, they should be withdrawn from the marketplace because they have been unable to correct the issues or have created others with their firmware “upgrades”.  Instead, they continue to market these products aggressively with false advertising, IMHO.  I hope I’ve made my case for their tarnished image.

They are may not be ‘flawed’ for all users. For instance I don’t use vobs, iso files work perfectly and life is too short to wait for maybe fixes.

I’m not sure where you have seen this aggressive advertising as all the players are now getting rather old. In fact you would find it very difficult to buy a plus or hub now. 

Just because you don’t use VOBs doesn’t mean your player isn’t flawed.  If you had hundreds of VOBs like many of us do and bought any “Live” product to stream them as is claimed possible you would feel differently I promise.  BTW, if you read my posts near the beginning of this thread you’ll see that I just wrote a review of a WD Live player on Newegg.  In case youve forgotten the “Live” is the oldest of the three products.  Also WD themselves is still selling both the 'plus" and the “hub” in their store and list nine other major retailers for the “hub”.

If any of you are still interested in this topic instead of trying to discrdit me I have some news.  As I said before I have been encountering the stuttering problem on VOB files streamed over my LAN.  The VOB files are resident on a WD HDD in an external enclosure which is USB ported to my media share computer.  Today I relocated the HDD containing all the VOBs into the share computer and the first of the offending VOBs I streamed seemed to play fine.  At least it played past the point where it began to stutter previously.  I’m not sure what to make of this yet so I’ll ask for opinions.  Thanks in advance.

ram1009 wrote:> Also WD themselves is still selling both the 'plus" and the “hub” in their store and list nine other major retailers for the “hub”.>  

Discussions here about not being able to purchase a hub.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Availability-of-WD-TV-Live-Hub/td-p/630713

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/WD-Liive-Hub-2tb-Discontinued/td-p/640667

I don’t know your location but the WD UK does not list the hub at all and in the USA all  hubs are out of stock. I could not find a live plus on any WD site for sale. It appears that WD Australia does stock the hub.

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/productID.220506400

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/productID.275356500

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.21986300/productID.275355500

What I meant about hanging around for a fix is that I did have vobs and now I have ISO. Problem sorted as far as I am concerned. I think anybody could convert all their vobs if they were waiting 3 and half years for a fix. By the way I am not saying that they should not fix this problem and I totally agree with you that’s its unacceptable that have not done so.

ram1009 wrote:

If any of you are still interested in this topic instead of trying to discrdit me I have some news.  As I said before I have been encountering the stuttering problem on VOB files streamed over my LAN.  The VOB files are resident on a WD HDD in an external enclosure which is USB ported to my media share computer.  Today I relocated the HDD containing all the VOBs into the share computer and the first of the offending VOBs I streamed seemed to play fine.  At least it played past the point where it began to stutter previously.  I’m not sure what to make of this yet so I’ll ask for opinions.  Thanks in advance.

This is getting wierder every day.  Today I put a different HDD into my external enclosure and discovered that it is not visible to the player.   The only drive I can see on my network share computer is the one I moved yesterday.  It seems that it doesn’t matter whether it’s external or internal.  There are four drives that should be visible on the network share computer (including the boot drive) but the only one visible is the one with the VOB files.  This seems to be a completely different problem.  Has anyone else experienced this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5385/p/208,342/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4ODU0MDEwNC9zaWQvNTk0UE5lSmw%3D

Here’s an interesting Q & A from the knowledge base.  This could be the answer to stuttering.  It could also be why WD doesn’t want to talkabout it.

DVDs are far from “High Bit Rate.”

TonyPh12345 wrote:
DVDs are far from “High Bit Rate.”

Hello Tony.

I’ve been wishing you would chime into this.  You probably don’t remember me but you helped me trouble shoot this problem a couple of years ago obviously without a final resolution.  I don’t know how high the bit rate must be before Samba craps out.  Do you?  I mention this Q & A hoping somebody more knowledgeable than I has an answer.  Please share what you’ve learned about this.

Some of my BD Rips approach 45Mbits/sec… No problems playing them on the Gen 3 at least. I stopped using my Gen1/2s before I started amassing BDs, so not sure myself…

A DVD’s maximum of 9.8 Mbit/s certainly does not **bleep** out the old Live that plays back high bitrate BD rips over SMB just fine.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Some of my BD Rips approach 45Mbytes/sec… No problems playing them on the Gen 3 at least. I stopped using my Gen1/2s before I started amassing BDs, so not sure myself…

I’m not sure what you mean by “gen 1-2-3”.  Are you meaning “Live, Live Plus and Hub”? 

I found the Q & A I quoted in a post on another forum.  The poster further quoted that 11 MB/s was the bit rate limit for Samba and so he considered that the limiting item in his playback scenario.  You say you routinely stream at 45 MB/s.  I’m pretty confused.

Techflaws wrote:

A DVD’s maximum of 9.8 Mbit/s certainly does not **bleep** out the old Live that plays back high bitrate BD rips over SMB just fine.

I’m still experimenting with both my LIVE + and my HUB and both are stuttering on the same VOB files (non BD) only if the files are located in an external HDD attached to my network share computer.  The same files run off an internal drive run fine as do the same files run off a flash drive attached to the player itself.  Those observations (taken at face value) would seem to point to a network problem over USB.  Yes/no?

ram1009 wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Some of my BD Rips approach 45Mbytes/sec… No problems playing them on the Gen 3 at least. I stopped using my Gen1/2s before I started amassing BDs, so not sure myself…

I’m not sure what you mean by “gen 1-2-3”.  Are you meaning “Live, Live Plus and Hub”? 

I found the Q & A I quoted in a post on another forum.  The poster further quoted that 11 MB/s was the bit rate limit for Samba and so he considered that the limiting item in his playback scenario.  You say you routinely stream at 45 MB/s.  I’m pretty confused.

Sorry, that was a stupid typo on my part.   I typed 45MBytes/sec, and I meant 45MBits/second.  I’ve corrected that.

At one time there was a bug in the Streaming Media Player and Hub where VOBs had a stupid network bug that caused an unnecessary dramatic increase in network usage.

I’ve been searching for the last 10 mintues to find the threads, and not turning them up.

Perhaps that bug crept into the Live/Plus as well.

The “fix” on the SMP/HUB was to use ISOs instead of Video_TS folders.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

At one time there was a bug in the Streaming Media Player and Hub where VOBs had a stupid network bug that caused an unnecessary dramatic increase in network usage.

I’ve been searching for the last 10 mintues to find the threads, and not turning them up.

Perhaps that bug crept into the Live/Plus as well.

The “fix” on the SMP/HUB was to use ISOs instead of Video_TS folders.

ISO does work for me also although I can’t really think of it as a “fix” for the hundred or so movies I already have ripped to VOB.  We’ve come full circle again on this.  If WD is going to list VOB as a supported format then they should fix this however there seems to be no support avalable directly from them.  Their firmware “updates” certainly haven’t fixed it.

Don’t be picky on Tony, of course its rather a workaround than a fix but I’m pretty sure someone here could cook you up a batch that would transfer all your VOBs (why go with several instead of ISO anyway?) to ISO with ImgBurn or something over night.

That said, since you insist it’s a firmware issue, I’ve just reripped the main movie of my copy of the Matrix DVD (~ 2 hours runtime) to VOBs and played it via SMB from my NAS on 1.06.43: no stutter whatsoever.

Techflaws wrote:

Don’t be picky on Tony, of course its rather a workaround than a fix but I’m pretty sure someone here could cook you up a batch that would transfer all your VOBs (why go with several instead of ISO anyway?) to ISO with ImgBurn or something over night.

That said, since you insist it’s a firmware issue, I’ve just reripped the main movie of my copy of the Matrix DVD (~ 2 hours runtime) to VOBs and played it via SMB from my NAS on 1.06.43: no stutter whatsoever.

Stuttering disappeared for me for over a year and I refused to upfate firmesre. Then it started again randomly.  I will RIP ISOs in the future but it eill be a chore to convert all I have.  BTW, where did I insist this was a firmware issue?

ram1009 wrote:> Stuttering disappeared for me for over a year and I refused to upfate firmesre. Then it started again randomly.  I will RIP ISOs in the future but it eill be a chore to convert all I have.

I converted all my   HDD   VIDEO_TS stuff a while ago to *ISO using this … Folder2Iso

It’s pretty fast … but a *batch* solution would be even better … oh well :neutral_face: