Stuttering sound in .mov videos from panasonic Lumix LX3

I have recently bought a WD TV Live player which I connected to my TV. Did not worked out with hdmi cable only however. Sound do not go through the hdmi cable. Tested both digital and stereo settings.

When I play my .mov HD videos from my Panasonic Lumix  LX3 camera I get a stuttering sound, You must remove the sound if you will look at the videos without that disturbing noise.

When I play old .mov videos in standard format, sound is OK.

Every other video format works fine regarding the sound.

My TV shows that Audio is 1/1: PCM format.

If I process my .mov files through Virtual Dub and saves as .avi, sound is working OK

I do not want to process all my .mov files to get a proper sound.

Any suggetion?

Firmware 1.02.21 has been downloaded.

Regards

Please post the MediaInfo information for one of the problem files (I’m going to guess right now it’s a bitrate problem but let’s take a look at it to make sure).

In any case, you most likely *will* have to reprocess your problem files.

Thanks for quick repliy.

Here is my mediainfo:

General

Complete name : D:\Digitala_bilder\2010\2010_07_31\P1020353.MOV

Format : QuickTime

Format/Info : Original Apple specifications

File size : 214 MiB

Duration : 1mn 12s

Overall bit rate : 24.9 Mbps

Encoded date : UTC 2010-07-31 13:05:28

Tagged date : UTC 2010-07-31 13:05:28

Writing library : pana

Video

ID : 1

Format : M-JPEG

Codec ID : jpeg

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 24.6 Mbps

Width : 1 280 pixels

Height : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate mode : Constant

Frame rate : 24.000 fps

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.113

Stream size : 211 MiB (99%)

Language : English

Audio

ID : 2

Format : PCM

Format settings, Endianness : Big

Format settings, Sign : Signed

Codec ID : twos

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 256 Kbps

Channel(s) : 1 channel

Sampling rate : 16.0 KHz

Bit depth : 16 bits

Stream size : 2.20 MiB (1%)

Language : English

Comparing this information with my .avi files which play proper shows different values in:

Format settings, Endianess is “Big” instead of “Little”

Codec ID is"twos" instead of “1”

Codec ID/Hint is “Microsoft” in .avi files, is missing in .mov

Bit rate mode, Bit rate, Sampling rate, bit depth, sampling rate is identical in .mov and .avi.

Stream size is "2,2MiB instead of 2,56 MiB in .avi

Regards

Yeah, that’s an odd audio setting (for one thing, “1 channel” is problematic).

What did you use to create this?  And what settings did you use?

Other than recreating it, the simple fix is to run it through Handbrake (but you will be re-encoding the video – takes time and you *might* lose quality, although if you use the High Profile preset but change output type to MKV you should be just fine).  Otherwise ffmpeg should fix the audio (but you will need to be comfortable using command line settings – if so let me know and I can give you the command to fix).

Thanks for quick reply again!

Mediainfo text is produced from the original .mov file from my compact camera, Panasonic Lumix LX3.

It is no stereo sound in that camera.

I have checked an older .mov file from unknown origin but I can see that in that .mov the format  is AAC Version 4

Channels : 2 channels That video has proper sound.

In my .avi which play properly I got Channels: 1 channel. Thus I do not think that the channel is the problem.

That .avi is created from my .mov LX3 videos through the editing program Virtual Dub

Codec ID:" twos" seems strange. Never heard of it.

WD TV Live should be able to play .mov.

Why it is not possible to play .mov properly from such a big company as Panasonic?

Thats is disturbing. Are ther nobody else that has this problem?

I can ofcourse take all my .mov files through Virtual Dub but then you got 2 files if you want to keep the original.

Regards

The problem is that the MOV container can contain all kinds of ■■■■, and no media player can support it all (it’s far easier on the computer, where updates for various codecs can be loaded ad infinitum). 

Most everyone who has success with this or any media player standardizes their output files – while it’s possible to play a wide variety of things there will always be stuff that doesn’t work (and, unfortunately, there are a TON of video cameras and even within the same company there are a ton of various formats they record do.  Even a company doesn’t standardize its’ own cameras most times).

Your best bet is to change the file using whatever software you are comfortable with (why you’d have to keep the original format I don’t know – is it important?  Are you going to load it back on the camera to do something with it?)

Thanks for your effort!

I guess that we will not find a solution in a short time.

Regards

Added: I have now found that others which tries to play videos from the camera Panasonic Lumix LX3 got the same problem with the sound.

Thus I can only wait for an update or change my .mov files

Regards