Stuttering / freezing

hello all,

Ive had my Hub for 2 years now, and am generally happy with it. However, lately it has been showing some issues. These issues are occuring since 3 or 4 weeks, I had not updated my firmware for the last 4 or 5 months.

Issues are:

• videos stuttering (independent of filze format/size). Feels as if the processor is overloaded, or the disk is too slow.

exiting/restarting the file does not help. Pausing only helps for a minute or so.

What does help is powering down the hub and then restaring.

• The hub drops network connection about 4 times a week. Trying to reconnect wont work, my wifi adapter doesnt see the network. If iunplug the USB from my wifi and then replug, it works fine again

I play all my files from the hub, which has abt 300Gb free, media library is switched off. I never really swith the hub completely off. I have tried the new firmware, but that makes no real difference.

Anyone with any ideas?

PS, if I try a factory reset, will the media on the HDD be deleted?

Thanks!

Factory resets do not affect media on the internal drive.

Your WD may be running warm.  I have (3) and three of my friends have them too.  We have experienced usues, and after adding little foam rubber stick on feet to rase the WD up, along with using a small fan to blow across the WD, the usues are gone.  The WD does have a fan.  Is it working?  Even if it is, the WD enclosure is not the best at passing air through to cool it.  Just a thought, some may not agree, but it’s an easy fix, if it helps.

Best of luck, Dan

Clear your ‘media library’, this will clean up all the cache and unwanted clutter. Despite the name, all your original files will still be intact and nothing will be deleted. I do this once in a while and the system speeds up faster and performs more fluidly.

Also, it is better to shut off the hub completely instead of leaving it on ‘standby’ because the disc is constantly spinning 24/7. I do this every time when I’m finished watching movies. Press and hold the POWER button until the unit completely shuts off (or until the light goes off). The ‘ethernet’ cable light at the rear should be off too if you’re using the connection.

mrmac wrote:

hello all,

Ive had my Hub for 2 years now, and am generally happy with it. However, lately it has been showing some issues. These issues are occuring since 3 or 4 weeks, I had not updated my firmware for the last 4 or 5 months.

Issues are:

• videos stuttering (independent of filze format/size). Feels as if the processor is overloaded, or the disk is too slow.

exiting/restarting the file does not help. Pausing only helps for a minute or so.

What does help is powering down the hub and then restaring.

• The hub drops network connection about 4 times a week. Trying to reconnect wont work, my wifi adapter doesnt see the network. If iunplug the USB from my wifi and then replug, it works fine again

I play all my files from the hub, which has abt 300Gb free, media library is switched off. I never really swith the hub completely off. I have tried the new firmware, but that makes no real difference.

Anyone with any ideas?

PS, if I try a factory reset, will the media on the HDD be deleted?

Thanks!

> 80’sGuy: I think that turning the device off after you use it is both a personal preferance and is questionable if it is actually better for your drive. Turning on and off the drive is a lot more wear and tear than having it run continuous. A debate better left for a different place, but there is no absolute in that decision that you are prolonging the life of the disk/HUB by doing so. I have been running my HUB continuous (except for reboots for FW upgrades since the product was released without any issues. I also have a file server and a media server both that run 24/7. Turning the computers off may or may not prolong their life, but certainly not advice that I would give as a must do type of thing. If you search the boards here you will find many people (possibly a majority) that never completley shut down, but just go into stanby mode. As long as you have your data backed up, you are always in good shape

Now onto the personal choice part. The hub is built to act like a NAS, that other machines can access. That’s why it has a standby mode in the first place. Everyone’s setuo is different, but I frequently acces data on my hub from other computers, my phone and my Android Pad. having the HUB on as a network server is one of the clear advantages of having a HUB. Also, though i do not use the media library, the thought of the HUB rescanning 1000s of movies and Albums everytime I rebooted it to use it sounds like a waste of time. Like I said, that part is personal choice.

No offense, but unless you are really trying to micro-manage your electricity useage, or you only use the HUB once in a while, I can’t see turning it off completely. I use the HUB every day, morning and night with out turning it off and never have had an issue.

MrMac: The suggestion I have for you on your connection issue is to try and connect your HUB to a wired ethernet connection and see if that solves your problem. It may be inconvenient based on where your setup is, but worth trying it out for a test to see if the connection issue is related to your WiFi or the adapter.

-P

> 80sGuy wrote:> …Also, it is better to shut off the hub completely instead of leaving it on ‘standby’ because the disc is constantly spinning 24/7. I do this every time when I’m finished watching movies. Press and hold the POWER button until the unit completely shuts off (or until the light goes off). The ‘ethernet’ cable light at the rear should be off too if you’re using the connection.

I do it to conserve electricity, that’s my number priority. I also don’t use it as a nas, just to store a few titles compressed (mkv) for occasional views. I owned the HUB for about two years now and use it every evening to watch movies (both Netflix and video files) and shut it down completely because I couldn’t stand the constant spinning/humming sound.

80sGuy wrote:

I do it to conserve electricity, that’s my number priority. I also don’t use it as a nas, just to store a few titles compressed (mkv) for occasional views. I owned the HUB for about two years now and use it every evening to watch movies (both Netflix and video files) and shut it down completely because I couldn’t stand the constant spinning/humming sound.

Really…how much electricity do you figure you save by turning it off and, maybe I’m wrong, but wouldn’t you need to remove the power adapter from the wall to save electricty as it does not turn off when you turn off the Hub? So unless you remove the power adapter you may as well leave it in standby.

I’m pretty sure the drive in my Hub goes to sleep after a period of time. Soon as I turn it on or access it from the network I can hear it spin up but it’s pretty quiet. The fan runs in standby mode but does not spin as fast as it does when you bring it out of standby. I can tell you this, it’s a LOT quiter than my AT&T U-Verse Cisco STB! The hard drive in that thang vibrates the whole cabinet so does my PS3! I had to set it on a cushioned matt to absorb the vibration.

I use a Belkin Conserve to shut OFF all my devices except for the two ‘hot’ ones  – HD Cable Box and DVD Recorder. When I’m done all I had to do was hit the ‘non line of sight remote’ which powers off ALL phantom power, meaning everything that’s plugged in to the Power Conserve device is cut off from the wall completely. Here is a list of items plugged in to the Belkin:

1. Panasonic Plasma TV

2. Panasonic DVD Recorder

3. HD Cable Box

4. Technics Turntable

5. Pioneer CD Recorder (plugged in Denon receiver’s rear AC outlet)

6. Pioneer 3-Head Deck (plugged in Denon receiver’s rear AC outlet)

7. Marantz Professional CD Recorder

8. Technics DCC deck (Digital Compact Cassette)

9. Denon AVR-2310CI Receiver

10.JVC DVD player

1. WD Live HUB

Everything is shut off with a simple flick of a switch  except for numbers 2 & 3 because they needed to be active for timer recrdings. I’ve been using the device for almost two years and believe me, I do see a difference on my electric bill.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my Subwoofer is also plugged in to the device with an extension. This also kills the red ‘auto standby light’. The receiver, subwoofer, and HUB are the ones that draw most phantom power – especially with the receiver and sub on standby (glowing red and orange lights)! So yeah, this is one of the many reasons and it is worth it

flhthemi - The hub will go into low power standby if you give the remote power button a long press. This mode hardly uses any power in comparison to normal standby. Obviously this low power standby means that the hard disc / fan is off and the hub cannot be seen on the network.
However as you say the hard drive does sleep after a while in normal standby and will spin up when turned on or accessed by the network.

Well I gotta give you an atta boy 80sguy. No way I would go to that extent and I like access to the Hub from the PC at a moments notice. But that’s a good one!

@80sGuy

You do have plenty of electo-gadgets, and I am going to recommend you get one more:  It’s called a “Kill A Watt” and you will have more fun with it than a Barrel of Monkeys.  Check it out at mfgr’s web link.  Sold Everywhere. 

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/p4400/p4400-ce.html

My wife gave me one a few years ago, but it didn’t tell me anything I already did not know.  (I humored her and played with it for a while.)  It’s not the home entertainment electronics that use a lot of electricity/juice/power/watts, etc,  It is the things that we have in the home to be extra hot or extra cold:  ovens, dryers, air conditioners, freezers, yada, yada.

Anyway, during the winter months your nice and warm home electronics, home lights, etc. are just part of the “home heating system” so don’t fret it too much.   :wink:

@mike27oct,

Oh yeah, I’ve used one of those before when a friend of mine borrowed me the device and suggested some investigations, the worst part was the fridge, but I gotta keep the beers cold! After a series of tests I made some arrangements starting with lowering the settings on my electric water heater, then bought the Belkin.

The list of ‘consumer’ a/v decks (except for the Marantz ‘Pro’ CD Recorder) are only half of what you see. I have another breed of gadgets known as ‘professional’ equipment – my electric guitars and Marshall amps, guitar effects, pedals, synthesizers, digital I/O boards, Cubase, etc…etc…etc…but of course I have something to manage those puppies.
When the sun goes down, I like to kill all of those colorful lights.

That device should be called ‘kill a unnecessary watt’. There is nothing much you can do about the power used for the things that you need however it is very good at showing you what stuff is unnecessarily using power. For example I have a cheap DVD player which in standby appears to use pretty well the same wattage as when it is on so therefore I unplug it when I am not using it. If it took 20watt then that saves up to 175KW of unnecessary power over the year.

Here’s what I use:   I monitor every single amp in my house:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Very impressive, Tony!  This is exactly what the Power Police need to enforce conservation among the family members.

I can visualize it now . . .   monitoring the kids’ room, see the power spike up, run into the kids’ room screaming, " Turn that %#$^ thing OFF!  You have exceeded your power comsumption limits, and you are grounded for a week!"   :laughing:

Seriously, common sense is all I need to keep the power bill to a minimum  – I have enough gadgets, and one more to monitor all the other gadgets is more than I want to deal with.  It does seem like a cool toy, though.

Wow Tony, that’s might impressive monitoring. I haven’t a clue on how my electricity breaks down. Now I feel inadequate…:dizzy_face:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

So Tony what’s causing that near constant 1KW?

richUK wrote:
So Tony what’s causing that near constant 1KW?

Rich, my guess would be all the hard-crankin’, power-hungry appliances that keep things hot and cold in the house, as well as any home electronics items on, maybe a few lights – and maybe even the power performance monitor!