Stuttering Due to Overheating

With a gigabit network, my WD TVs start stuttering after a period of time. Once they start stuttering, they will continue stuttering and I believe it is due to overheating.

Here are some example of how it pans out exactly: watching a 1080p movie, the first 30-40 minutes plays smoothly with 0 problems. Then it start stuttering for no reason. Now, no matter what point I go to in the movie, it will play fine for a short period (a minute or less), and then start stuttering again. Is this a known issue? Are there any solutions? Are the new models any more powerful as to be able to handle high-bitrate and/or high ref frames without overheating?

1 Like

My guess is it has nothing to do with overheating – these units get as hot as they’ll get about 60 seconds after they turn on (unless, of course, they are sitting on something which is itself getting hotter all the time).

Easiest way to test this is to copy one of the movies to a USB stick or some such and play it locally – I’ll bet you a dollar it plays just fine.  If so, it’s a network issue of some sort.

WDTVLiveuser wrote:

With a gigabit network, my WD TVs start stuttering after a period of time. Once they start stuttering, they will continue stuttering and I believe it is due to overheating.

Here are some example of how it pans out exactly: watching a 1080p movie, the first 30-40 minutes plays smoothly with 0 problems. Then it start stuttering for no reason. Now, no matter what point I go to in the movie, it will play fine for a short period (a minute or less), and then start stuttering again. Is this a known issue? Are there any solutions? Are the new models any more powerful as to be able to handle high-bitrate and/or high ref frames without overheating?

Its very easy to check if you think it is over-heating. Play a fan on it and see if the stuttering stops.