Stuttering! ( all FW versions )

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That’s interesting comparisons.

The profile I use in handbrake has these options:

ref=2:bframes=2:subme=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

So, my ReFrames is set to 2, and B-frames is set to 2.    I don’t have any issues with stuttering on this type of encoding on any of my Live devices (see signature.)

So, it may be something completely different than B-frames-related…

Quite a while ago I posted a bug in one of the forums stating that MP4 and MKV files with H.264 are not playing correctly when the B-frame setting is set to an ODD number (1, 3 etc…).  The 2 had worked for me with MKV files, BUT I ran into issues with the setting of 2 with MP4 files.  This came from playing with different B-frame settings.  The 0 worked with both MKV and MP4 files.  So, my conclusion is empirical - and I did not test any further because lots of time was wasted on these encoding to see what works and what does not.  I usually recommend the 0 since it seems to work with both MKV and MP4 containers.  But as you mention - it may be something completely different.

Lunar07 wrote:

Does this work on the Live and Live Plus and Hub?  I’d like to try it on one of my units.  Also, what is ‘the well known’ custom firmware?  Where can I find it?  Yes, indeed, why does not WD look into these things that seem to be working fine in these custim firmwares?

I’ve only tried it with the unit I was having problems with, our WD TV Live. Its called B-rad’s firmware, or WDLXTV, easily found on your search engine of choice.