Stuck on Initializing device

Hi all,

after upgrading my firmware to the latest March 2014 release whenever I go to the dashboard via any web browser I get the “Initializing device” message. I have left this open for over 8 hours and nothing has changed.

The LED on the MyCloud is a solid white and obviously the MyCloud is pingable since I can reach it via a web browser. I cannot however SSH to it and none of my shares are up. I can see through the web dashboard that my shares are still there and the free data amount is the same as before the firmware upgrade (1.2TB free out of 2TB).

Now I want to ask before I go royaly screwing with this thing, is the MyCloud just rebuilding the content library and since I have roughly 800GB worth of music, movies and pictures, it’s going to take a LONG time?

Thanks for any insight!

Wow! Okay I am really disappointed with this purchase then…

So the only way to recover this thing is to go through this method as mentioned earlier?

Did you try to reboot the device? If you can’t, did you try to reset (unplug the power, press the reset button, keep it pressed while you reconnect the power and hold for 40s).

Will I lose my data if I reset the device this way? Or does it just factory reset the OS?

apparently not as this is usually the “solution to everything” by the WD mods :stuck_out_tongue:  

good luck 

This is right out of the User Manual:

" Resetting with Power Off
At the same time as you plug power into the WD My Cloud device, press the Reset button
and hold for about 40 seconds. The device undergoes a system restore and powers on."

System Only: Changes all settings back to the factory default values, makes private shares
public, and returns the administrator password to none. Your content remains untouched
and intact.

1 Like

OK so I have it back up and running, sort of. It was indeed a case of [Deleted], at least for getting it running. So in the scope of this thread it is solved.

The problem still remains however, that it still does not update to the latest firmware and in trying so causes the exact same problem as described originally. There are also some new problems that have arisen, such as being unable to set the timezone of the device or adding users fails.

I’m going to backup all my data off this device then do a full system restore and see if that helps.