Stripping MyCloud to minimum

back when I was really curious, I would stop almost every service at least once to see if my drive continues working :stuck_out_tongue: It has been a year and half now and I forgot what I did with the list.

Follow the link that cp_paranoia provided to my post on all the services that are in use.

For the most part as long as you have the ability to SSH into the device, or have access to the menu to shut down your device, you are good.

Try stopping each of the services to see whether or not your drive continues to function afterwards.

Use the command 

/etc/init.d/ stop

/etc/init.d/samba stop

DO NOT USE

update-rc.d 

to disable a process until you are absolutely sure you don’t need the services because if you disable a process and you need it to communicate with the device and rebooting doesn’t enable it again, you are up **** creek.

So just use /etc/init.d/ stop for now.

Document any effects after stopping a process and let us know. That way, someday we can all run just a basic NAS device unlike the foggy/cloudy device that we have now that wakes up at 3am to play solitaire. 

good luck… 

cpt_paranoia wrote:

If you turn off media streaming via the Dashboard, you will stop the twonky server.

Ralphael posted a list of services, but we don’t have a definitive guide to which can be disabled…

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/The-Guide-to-Cloud-Services-as-defined-by-the-User-Community/m-p/876349