Streaming with iPad?

Ok, I’m at my friends house connected to his network, I opened the My Cloud app and selected my public folder, then clicked on a movie however it will not stream, gives me a prompt to increase my cache size?? I thought you could stream from an iPad???

Shouldn’t the file stream directly without needing to download to the cache?

Which app are you using?

RoldGold wrote:

It is better to have cache to prevent buffering lag during playback.

I’m using the My Cloud iPad app, the same app I have on my iPhone as well…

ThreeEyedMinion wrote:

RoldGold wrote:

It is better to have cache to prevent buffering lag during playback.

The problem is when I’m home on my network, the videos stream without needing to download to the cache or device, they just open up and start playing. Do I need to set up FTP or port forwarding so that when I’m at the office or at a friends the videos will stream without downloading to which ever device I’m using?

jamalaya wrote:

Which app are you using?

Im using the My Cloud app, the errors I’m being prompted with are:

No Space Available - There isn’t enough room on your mobile device. Please clear some space and try again.

This is from my iPhone 5, connected to my home network. When I open VLC player and connect to the My Cloud Drive the video play’s instantly without the error or having to download to my iPhone.

Hmmm. That is strange, in my iPhone, I set cache to 1GB.

I then started streaming a 2.3 GB movie via 4G cellular.

I did not get cache error… Movie played fine. It played slow becaus 4g coverage is not good where I live, but I did not get a warning about space.

Are you sure you are not actually downloading instead of streaming? Does app recognize it as a compatible movie file (shows thumbnail) and not a generic file?

ThreeEyedMinion wrote:

I did not get cache error… Movie played fine. It played slow becaus 4g coverage is not good where I live, but I did not get a warning about space.

Are you sure you are not actually downloading instead of streaming? Does app recognize it as a compatible movie file (shows thumbnail) and not a generic file?> The app does not show a thumbnail, it shows a question mark, the video files are mkv files…

ThreeEyedMinion wrote:

Are you sure you are not actually downloading instead of streaming? Does app recognize it as a compatible movie file (shows thumbnail) and not a generic file?> The app does not show a thumbnail, it shows a question mark, the files are mkv files, isn’t this a recognizable format?> * * *

The app does not show a thumbnail, it shows a question mark, the files are mkv files, isn’t this a recognizable format?

How do you stream?

RoldGold wrote:

The app does not show a thumbnail, it shows a question mark, the files are mkv files, isn’t this a recognizable format?

I think then that is the problem.    The iPad Cloud app does not have an internal player.  It uses Apple’s native video and audio players. Apple does not support MKV Apple only supports M4V/MP4 and certain AVI files.

It is giving you cache error because it has to download the whole file (in case you want to “Open With…” some other app like VLC.)

Streaming works seamlessly if you use Apple supported video files like M4V.

1 Like

for MKV I use VidOn Player Hd (free from app store) on my Ipad mini.

VLC player works as well…

Hello, RoldGold,

My VLC Player stopped working playing videos that I made on my Galaxy S4.

Before it was working. Now I only hear the sound and do not see the video.

That is strange, I’m using VLC on my iPhone and iPad. What format are your videos?

@ RoldGold,

The one’s that a Samsung Galaxy S4 makes.

Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, DivX, DivX3.11, VC-1, VP8, WMV7/8, Sorenson Spark, HEVC

that is strange VLC on my Ipad mini is atrocious, Deleted it. It cannot stream anything, sound oK but no video and that is on local network. It is good on pc.