Streaming movies remotely accessed stopping every few seconds

I have an Imac running mavericks, a my cloud, running on 1 gig internet.  I have been able to remotely access my movies and play them from NY to Floirda without an issue.  Lately, when i remotely access the movies through the WD Cloud app in my  Ipad or other users in their Imacs, the movies stop and go constantly (Buffering).  I increased my internet speed to lighting 35.  i tested the speed in speedtest.net and iget pin 17 ms, download 39.77 mbps and upload 2.3 mbps.  My firmware is up to date, running v04.01.02-417.  The certifcate for SSL keeps appaearing as invalid.  Any ideas why the buffering?  Please treat me as a newbie!  If i can access and watch my movies remotely i have no use for the my Cloud whatsoever.  Thanks!

EVREVR wrote:

I have an Imac running mavericks, a my cloud, running on 1 gig internet.

i tested the speed in speedtest.net and iget pin 17 ms, download 39.77 mbps and upload 2.3 mbps. 

I’m confused – you have “1 gig internet” but you only get 40mbps down and 2.3 up?

If your upload speed is only 2.3 mbps, that’s going to cause a lot of buffering.

As a rough estimate, your UPLOAD speed needs to be twice as fast as the average bitrate of the files you’re trying to watch.

I figure it has to do with my internet speed.  How can i resolve(increase)  the upload speed?  Calling my internet provider? or is it something internal i can do?  How do i calculate the bitrate?  My cloud is connected to my time capsule via ethernet Cat5e cable.

Yes my ethernet speed in the system preferences - hardware tab says its 1000baseT.  Thanks!

EVREVR wrote:

How can i resolve(increase)  the upload speed?  

Yep…

EVREVR wrote:

How do i calculate the bitrate?

Simple way is file size in bytes divided by the duration in seconds, then multiply by 8.

Example:   TV Show is 23 minutes long, and file is 250 megabytes.

( 250,000,000 / (23 * 60) ) * 8 = 1.45 megabits per second

Also, this speed must be maintained through the entire path from your home to wherever you are. 

1 Like

FYI, the upload speed where the mycloud is probably the issue. I am not sure which end you posted

I posted the upolad speed on my end.  any suggestions as to how to increase the speed?  Thanks

what is the upload speed on the mycloud end, actual measured?

if it is way below advertised speed your ISP may be able to help or a new modem

if it is near advertised upgrading service from the ISP is the only option

You cannot increase your upload speed. Changing a modem isn’t going to make any difference unless your current one is faulty. Short of your provider offering a different package with a higher upload speed you are screwed.