Streaming HD Video from NAS to WDTV Live Streaming

Didn’t you contribute in the thread I started about how to set up my network?:smileyvery-happy:

Well, it’s a span created in Window’s drive manager.  I would assume all the HDD’s spin up and down together.  Even if the data is being read from only one disk, I don’t think the others in the span would spin down.  I’ll disable the spin-down anyway and see.

I wonder if this only happens with seamless branching titles?    I’m totally lost with how to diagnose this.

Most all my media-related HDs spin down in 5 mins,incl. ones directly connected to WDTV.  Doubt this is the problem.   I have no issues, and much of the stuff goes through muli network switches, too.  Must be “somthin’ else”.

I am using 3 of these trendnet switches.  They have “green” technology that is supposed to monitor the ports and deactivate the ones that do not have cables in them.  Perhaps this is causing some problems.

I am running 5 or 6 of these same metal-cased Trendnet switches (5 or 8 port models) in my home, and only recently did one fail.  I would periodically be unable to connect my PC to the internet (i.e. refresh a browser page) because the switch would cut out momentarily making the problem intermittent.  Because of the number of switches I have running, I had bought some extras when Newegg frequently put them on sale.  So, I had a brand new in my stock I could put in place of the suspected bad one ,and the problem went away.  (I replaced the switch and it’s PS,) To anyone running multiple switches in their network I would suggest they do same; i.e. have a spare or two.

Nevertheless, I don’t think ALL your switches could have gone bad, and the “green-thing” likely has nothing to do with the problem.  I narrowed down my problem quickly because I had more than the PC connected to the switch, and those units exhibited problems, too, so all indications led to the switch as the culprit.

I had problems with 10/100 Linksys switches in the past, so yea, switches can be problematic, but I still question if switches are your issue, and having a spare to try can help zero in on problem…

I have several different switches at home and work.  My Trendnet switch at home failed within warranty–it was completely “dead” with no lights, etc.  They replaced my brand new looking 6mos old switch with some refurbished unit that looked like it had been carried around by a service tech for years–all scratched up.  No more Trendnet for me.  Cheap, but bad warranty service given their level of reliability.

Hmmm, guess I won’t send my bad switch in for repair.  It’s now to become a very cool looking coaster for my bottle of beer!  Anyway, it costs less than $20 on sale, so what the heck; worst things have happened.

In defense of Trendnet, I bought a travel router of theirs from Newegg recently.  After two bad/flakey units and a scathing review at Newegg, I was contacted via phone by a service dept engineer in CA, no less.  I eventually returned the second bad unit for full refund to Newegg, and the engineer sent me their brand new model for my troubles and asked that I check it out and write another review on this one at Newegg.  I gave it high marks, so things did improve. 

So, write a really bad review about your experience and see what happens.

My nas has the same hdd duplication as my pc. Tried playing 3 movies last night from the nas. An iso and two mkv. None would play. Said video type not supported. Playd same movies from the pc shares and they worked. Also having problems with the nas where movies are playing without audio. Have to power cycle the receiver. Im a mess. Not sure if this is related to the pausing and ff issue.

Prob going to ditch the nas setup and just stick with my pc shares. I hav assigned static ips to both the pc, the 2 wdtv boxes holefully they will be smoother to connect