Streaming from PC

Hi,

How can I stream video content stored on my PC to the WD TV Play?

Can I set up my PC to be recognized as a NAS so that I can control content directly from my WD TV Play interface?

Please help! If the only other solution is using WMP then I am wondering why I bought this thing!!!

Thanks.

Well, you have to use some sort of DLNA server on the PC for the Play to see it. You probably, like many others, should have purchased a WDTV LIVE Plus (I think it’s out of production) or the WDTV Streaming Media Player (WDBHG70000NBK) as they can see the shared folders on your PC without any server software installed.

OK, thanks. I am still on time to change my order…Fortunately!

PS3 Media Server is a Freeware DLNA client that will serve media to your WDTV Play

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Super easy to use … virtually no setup required … works “out of the box”

Luna72 wrote:

OK, thanks. I am still on time to change my order…Fortunately!

IMO, change it. I don’t think you’ll be sorry.

Take the Play, and you may very well be disappointed from the sound of things.

@joey I like the PS3 media server for the most part. The ONLY problem I find with it is there aren’t many good plugins for it like you have available with PlayOn (which the Play fails being able to get content from). It is a great server though for sharing all your media.

Rule No.1: “Common Sense”  Research and Ask questions first, before purchasing / or placing a purchase order.

surprising how many people fail Rule No.1 ?  :neutral_face:

I am now rethinking the all issue. All I need is a way to stream video files that are on my notebook onto my HDTV without having to connect notebook to TV every time. I do not want a NAS device as I pay substantial money to Dropbox and I don’t care about Netflix, Hulu, etc.

WD TV Play won’t recognize my PC as storage device!

WD TV Live will do above but it still means I have to keep PC switched on!

None of these will stream directly from Dropbox cloud!

So, luckily I could cancel my order and I am now reconsidering Android TV boxes.

Well you can use Play to stream videos from your notebook.

Even mkv files.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/adding-mkv-files-to-the-windows-media-player/c867bdea-9674-4f0b-b56f-7650920f14a1

You can use Play to or browse media library on your notebook.

WD Play does not support mpeg2 or DTS downmix.

You can stream your Dropbox files using android mobile/tablet in combination with other apps to your WD Play/Live SMP.

And of course android based media hubs are good solution too.

Luna72 wrote:

I am now rethinking the all issue. All I need is a way to stream video files that are on my notebook onto my HDTV without having to connect notebook to TV every time. I do not want a NAS device as I pay substantial money to Dropbox and I don’t care about Netflix, Hulu, etc.

WD TV Play won’t recognize my PC as storage device!

WD TV Live will do above but it still means I have to keep PC switched on!

None of these will stream directly from Dropbox cloud!

So, luckily I could cancel my order and I am now reconsidering Android TV boxes.

OK, now this is different from your Original Post as you don’t want the PC to have to be on. So now I’m trying to figure out what Android device you’re going to purchase that can access files on a PC that is turned off?? If your files are on a cloud, like Dropbox or whatever, then they are NOT on your PC.

Now…if you already have an Android device there are apps that will let you access your “cloud” files and play them to your WD device. BUT you still have to have the Android device turned on :slight_smile: BUT tablet/smart phones consume a lot less power than the PC would :slight_smile:

Yes, my main goal is to be able to play video files in my Dropbox folder onto my HDTV. Currently I can do this only by connecting my notebook via hdmi, problem with this is that notebook has to be connected and on all the time.  Folder on my notebook automatically sync with Dropbox cloud and so effectively it’s like playing files directly from the cloud.

As far as I know Roku has a couple of applications that stream from Dropbox cloud but I don’t like Roku, so I looked into WD only to find out that all WD does is access a NAS or (only WD Live) a folder on PC (which in my case could be the Dropbox folder)…I said to myself this way at least notebook doesn’t need to be linked to TV via HDMI but then found out WD TV Play deosn’t have shared folder option, etc. etc…

So now I am thinking Android TV box like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Android-Wireless-Internet-Centre/dp/B0081EBEIO/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TLXN00XR34MU

This in theory should be able to play videos directly from my Dropbox cloud using the android Dropbox app found on Google Play. My Samsung tablet does, so I don’t see why this box wouldn’t!

on PC it’s disponible XBMC… it’s a Media Player whit a DLNA server inside!! perfectly to add a share folder.

After this turn on your newest WD TV Play go on “My Storage” and open the shared folder.

I doesn’t try this solution but i have read on another forum working whitout problems.