Streaming from NAS rather than network sync

Using network sync, I have successfully been able to sync movies to the local drive.  Now, I have filled up the internal drive so I would like to move all of my movies and TV shows to my QNAP.  I can stream them by attaching via a network share, but is there a way to still use the media library and have it so others that connect to the WDTV live stream the movies as well?  I thought adding the drive to the media library would work, but it says “no media files”.

Thanks,

Matt

No, the only files the Hub can stream to another box are files that are on its internal or USB-attached drives.

… but if they’re on the QNAP, those clients should just access the QNAP instead…

Are you using Twonky to do that?  What is the point of adding this directory to the WDTV then?  When I add the directory to the WDTV live hub, I should be able to automatically see all my videos on the QNAP, correct?  Even if my local drive is empty?

oldmanmagic wrote:

Are you using Twonky to do that?  What is the point of adding this directory to the WDTV then?  When I add the directory to the WDTV live hub, I should be able to automatically see all my videos on the QNAP, correct?  Even if my local drive is empty?

No, I don’t use Twonky…  I just connect via Samba (“Network Shares.”)

Yes, if you add the directory to the Hub’s Media Library, you should be able to see everything that’s in that directory, even if the local drive is empty (which mine usually is.)