Streaming from MythTV 0.22

My WDTV live sees my MythTV 0.22 box perfectly via DLNA. I can see all my content from photos & music up to my TV recordings. My problem resides when trying to view the desired content. It starts to play fine but after 8 or nine seconds, the image and audio freezes.

I display the bar at the bottom and you can see the elapsed timer going back to 0.00 and trying to start over with no sucess. I have other non WDTVLive network media players that can see and play the cntent perfectly so I am sure its not a MythTV issue.

Any help will be appreciated. Ohh, I have upgraded to the latest firmware available as of today.

Regards,

Dennis

I performed another test by playing the content from the MythTV box via the network share and crashes exactly at the same place as if it were streaming the content.

In summary, I’m having problems streaming or playing contents from MythTV either by streaiming or network shares.

If I play the content via USB drive, it works fine.

Dennis

Dayala,

Could be a network error if the media plays via USB.

Run Wireshark on the MythTV box and see if it reports any network errors. This may help narrow it down.

Cheers from Oztralia.

PS  Could you please try playing a video with a 44.1KHZ audio stream and tell me if the audio plays? I have to remux them at 48KHz to get them to play.

I’m having the same issue with Recordings, videos play just fine, including xvid videos in an avi container created using nuvexport from recordings.

So here is the deal…

Even though I totally love my DirecTV, I am tired of paying $85/month.  I got it because I had picked up a panasonic 50" Plasma and didn’t want to get any further into hock with the cable company (crappy service and outrageous prices).  In short, DTV seemed like a dream answer for me.  And it was – but the economy has me looking at every dollar now so this is up for discussion.

So I am initially looking at going strickly with a streaming type solution (playon.tv) or setting up a mythtv solution.  What I am looking for is a series of clients that would work for both.  Why both?  My wife may not like the playon solution so I need a fallback.  I have confirmed that the playon.tv solution will work with the WD TV Live series of products.  What I haven’t been able to verify is the WD TV solution will work with MythTV.  This string seems to confirm that it will but perhaps we are a firmware upgrade away from a stable solution.  Correct???

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I can see Knoppmyth recordings on WDTV Live, but I can not get it to play.

Did You solve the problem?

Br

I bought a WD TV Live today to use at home with MythTV and was very disappointed to find that it doesn’t work with MythTV. I usually use a PlayStation3 to watch my recordings and this still works fine. The WD TV Live can play AVI files over my LAN from a laptop running Windows Vista. I am going to experiment by converting the MPEG2 recordings to another supported format and see what happens.

to Confirm.

I prev picked up the Patriot Box office, it does play the myth recordings.

Also has a internal drive, and more functions on the remote.

Volume, skip fwd etc.

The on a review about better menus, graphics I picked up th HD for upstairs for my wife’s tv.

And I can confirm, it does not play my myth tv recordings directory.

They both use the same chipset so hopefully another upgrade will correct this.

Of not tho, the WD does play my windows media center dvmrs files, the patriot would not.

Could there be a fav, to microsoft going on here?

Or perhaps the developers just are not hackers enough to be aware of Myth?

WE NEED TO HACK THIS FOR A DEDICATED MYTH FRONTEND!

Myth Backend server. (2) tuners

3 frontend clients. 2 with Tuners - 1 front end only

Patriot Media PLayer

WD LIe Media PLayer

Microsoft Media Center

I have been successful getting my MythTV installation working with my WD TV Live. I found that one of my Hauppauge PVR-150 cards was not setup properly to auto transcode. I double checked everything using the mythtv-setup program and the mythtv frontend setup menu making sure the default and high quality profiles were set for auto detection and my recordings are now auto transcoding from MPEG2-TS to MPEG2-PS. Recordings play on everything now including Windows Media Player.

My theory is that the 8 second problem is caused by trying to play MPEG2-TS recordings.

I too have this problem.

See  http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-December/275129.html and http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-May/288527.html

I would love to understand what is going on.

For one MythTV configuration, WDTV simply says

Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats

For a different setup, I get the same behaviour as the original poster.

I’d really like to know what is up.

VincentBentley wrote:

I have been successful getting my MythTV installation working with my WD TV Live. I found that one of my Hauppauge PVR-150 cards was not setup properly to auto transcode. I double checked everything using the mythtv-setup program and the mythtv frontend setup menu making sure the default and high quality profiles were set for auto detection and my recordings are now auto transcoding from MPEG2-TS to MPEG2-PS. Recordings play on everything now including Windows Media Player.

My theory is that the 8 second problem is caused by trying to play MPEG2-TS recordings.

You should not need to transcode.  You can set the recording profile for a PVR-150 to record in either MPEG2-TS or -PS.  I have my cards’ profiles set to -PS.  I understand that that saves considerable disk space.

Having said that, I have to admit that my WDTV-Live will not play my MPEG2-PS recordings.

(For some reason, Video4Linux DVB drivers dropped -PS support and only do -TS, but I don’t think that has anything to do with our problem.)

Could you tell us your recording profile and your transcoding profile?  If it works for you it might work for us.