Streaming 1080p stalls

When I stream anything over 720p via network this unit skips freezes then locks up …only 720p and below seems to work …

its your download speeds or router.

not all routers can handle streaming.  if you are using a standard home wireless router…that’s more than likely your issue.

Using a brand new dual band belkin N750DB is it this router the problem??

I wouldnt think so. that thing has some very high performance specs.

how old is your wireless adapter?

what is your download speeds?  (you can test them at www.speedtest.net)

My drives are hooked directly to that router via its USB inputs …So it should be streaming directly from the router to the SMP right? but every 1080p movie I have has badly stalled and froze to the point I have to reset the SMP? I am streaming via wifi? not cable…

My download speed is about 30 mbps

Hacku wrote:
 I am streaming via wifi? not cable…

Bingo.

Ok so this can not stream via wireless? I kinda thought that was what the built in wifi was for?

I feel your pain…I was having some of the same issues until I got a new router (e3200).  I still get a little stutter from time to time but overall it’s better.

SMP should stream 720p movies all day long with no issues.   1080p is another story over wireless…1080p requires a lot of processing and bandwidth and the SMP is almost there.  

Your router has to be really good, provide a really good signal and the really needs to be in a great location.  

Thanks for the info…I thought this router would be more than enough to handle it but maybe not…will try the e3200

There are a few good routers out there…e4200 is nice!..Netgear has some nice ones as well: n3800, n600(gigabit) and the new n900.   Just research and choose the best one for you.

Hacku wrote:
Ok so this can not stream via wireless? I kinda thought that was what the built in wifi was for?

It CAN under the right conditions.   But your WiFi network has to be good enough to carry 40-50 megabits per second reliably.

The Belkin N750DB states up to 300 mbps on it 2.4 ghz signal and 450 on its 5ghz signal…but I can get the SMP to even find the 5ghz signal…

That’s because the WLAN adapter of the SMP only supports 2.4 GHz connections.

The Belkin N750DB states up to 300 mbps on it 2.4 ghz signal

Without the words “Up To,”  those kind of “marketing” statements are true only under sterile lab conditions.

The actual speeds you’ll get are, in part, based on environmental factors beyond your control.

you should just hook up the external hard drive  directly to the player.  that’s what I do.

I have a few that are blue ray quality and it plays just fine.

it’s also a lot easier than messing with the shared folders in windows and junk.

You need to use NFS to stream the file. Install hanewin, look up a guide on editing the exports file, and disable your Windows Firewall.

“”

you should just hook up the external hard drive  directly to the player.  that’s what I do.

I have a few that are blue ray quality and it plays just fine.

it’s also a lot easier than messing with the shared folders in windows and junk.""

Yes and this is the way I have had all previous WDTVs hooked up…but I wanted to take advantage of the WIFI in the SMP to be able to have more than one SMP around the house to be able to play off the same drives…

"

You need to use NFS to stream the file. Install hanewin, look up a guide on editing the exports file, and disable your Windows Firewall."

Ok this is interesting…I will give this a try!

Thanks!!!

You may still get some stalling, but it’s very minimal. I’ve been able to play 15Mbps files just fine.

Set your hanewin settings like this:

Server threads: 32

Transfer size: 32768

And remember, you’ll have to go to Linux Shares in the Network Shares menu.

Hopefully WD can enable the 5GHz band in a future update. That should solve all streaming problems if you use 40MHz channels.