Stream to iphone/ipad/laptop

Hi

new to WD TV. 

I have the WD TV Live Streaming device. 

I have it connected to my projector via hdmi and to my speakers via the optical and all works fine, but I have 2 questions.

1. Is the ethernet port on the WD TV device a gigabit port? 

2. is there a way to control what exactly is playing without switching on the projector?

The reason for question 2 is that if I want to put on Spotify or do something minor music related I am forced to fire up the projector…by the time the lamps worms up etc it takes a bit of time. Plus it’s not very “healthy” for the lamp to be switched on/off constantly for short periods of time. 

I know there is a remote app, but it doesn’t show what is playing. Are there any other options? 

Maybe something that will allow me to stream to the iphone over wifi?

Thanks in advance. 

/bizzarizzo

Hi, 

1. Yes

2. No, I have seen the request for this feature on the ideas section. I would be cool if they update the remote app to allow it. 

bizzarizzo wrote:

Hi

new to WD TV. 

I have the WD TV Live Streaming device. 

I have it connected to my projector via hdmi and to my speakers via the optical and all works fine, but I have 2 questions.

1. Is the ethernet port on the WD TV device a gigabit port? 
  1. is there a way to control what exactly is playing without switching on the projector?

The reason for question 2 is that if I want to put on Spotify or do something minor music related I am forced to fire up the projector…by the time the lamps worms up etc it takes a bit of time. Plus it’s not very “healthy” for the lamp to be switched on/off constantly for short periods of time. 

I know there is a remote app, but it doesn’t show what is playing. Are there any other options? 

Maybe something that will allow me to stream to the iphone over wifi?

Thanks in advance. 

/bizzarizzo

1. Yes, but the media player doesn’t move data at gigabit speed, so kinda “not really”
    2.  Gotta see what’s playing, so no, but, apps can overcome this issue.

I have five iPad/Phone apps installed for accessing the network data (i.e. media player’s data) so they play on my iPad:

1.  Pogoplug app – specific for using with a Pogoplug device; enables access from anywhere on the internet. for streaming; not just within local network. (listening to music with it right now on local network!)

2.  VLC Streamer – streams movies; even ISO and MKV files within local network.  CPU intensive,

3.  WDTVMedia HD – streams DLNA compatible files (music, movies, photos) from media player to iThings; for local network use.

1. FileBrowser – access your local network like you can from your PC and play stuff.  Can be setup for outside network, too.

2. AiCloud – specific to my ASUS router; similar features as FileBrowser, enables access from anywhere on the internet.; not just within local network. 

Search this forum for the names of these apps, as I have written something about all of them.  Many of these apps are available in Android flavors, too.

A gigabit network and wireless N w/5G connection really helps these apps to work well.  A fairly fast PC does too. (A faster PC w/quad core – my next big purchase – it just never ends!)