Stream tablet output to WDTV live

Hi,

I have a WD TV Live (latest series), which works great! I’m also a big fan of spotify. And while I do like the option to use the Spotify app on the WD TV live, I find controlling it not that easy with the remote control. I also own an Android tablet on which I have the Spotify app installed. That’s rather easy to control and the touch interface simplifies things in comparison to handling a remote control.

So now I was wondering: is it possible to stream the audio my tablet produces to the WDTV live? I know it’s DLNA enabled, but I’m not sure how this technology works. I found some apps which stream to DLNA, but they all have built in mediaplayers which require local music files like MP3. Since I want to use the Spotify (or whatever app) output, I don’t have any local files.

Anyone knows if this has ever been done and what you’d need to get there? Any help would be appreciated!

I don’t think that would work, but assuming your tablet has HDMI you can just connect it directly to your tv. 

Sure, but that would require a cable and I don’t like walking around with a cable attached to my tablet :slight_smile:

As I didn’t find any solution, I went ahead and bought a small bluethooth receiver with a jack output. You can connect your pad via bluetooth to the receiver (which acts as a wireless headset). Don’t have it yet, so I don’t know how it’ll sound, but I hope it will solve my needs :slight_smile:

I am waiting for my WD Live just now and hope to send my music to it from iMediashare (free app on android and iOS). It is listed as a device that is supported for video, photo and music. It is also able to stream many online sources like YouTube etc.

I think this will work but you need a android app that will BEAM spotify to your WDTV player

If you can find a media server that uses DLNA for your tablet, that would work. Not sure if any exist, but the WD devices work great with most media servers.

Not 100% what you asked for, but there are Bluetooth receivers (eg. Logitech). Just pair your table with the receiver and everything will be transmitted to the bouetooth thingy. You have to connect the receiver to the audio channel of your amplifier.

They cost less than 40$

Again, this has nothing to do with the WDTV. I don’t know of any other solution.