Stream personal movies over Internet?

Can you use your WD TV Live device to stream movies off your own server located on a different network?  I want to get my girlfriend one of these so she (and myself when I’m there) can stream videos off my home media server to her own television.  Is this possible?

No, not really. 

It’s theoretically possible, but would involve such things as establishing a Layer 2 VPN connection to “unify” her network and your own into the same virtual network.

Another consideration is your upstream bandwidth.  I’m not sure you can send data upstream fast enough to be streamed smoothly from the other end.  Unless ofcourse you have teh FiOS 150Mb service which would require me to bow before you :slight_smile:

You could I suppose use a slingbox.

there is software ( servio I think ) to do this, however, your up stream bandwidth is the problem.

most people have barely enuf download bandwidth.

ddros wrote:

there is software ( servio I think ) to do this, however, your up stream bandwidth is the problem.

most people have barely enuf download bandwidth.

So has does slingbox do it? 

I can guarantee serviio is capable of doing this

I’ve used it to do exactly this.

there’s a free version, which does not include this capabiltiy

but the free version also comes with a 30 day trial of all the pro features

so you can test it out, before you decide to go pro

I dont know enough about slingbox to give you an educated answer.

but… with enough compression and or reduced quality… which is what netflix does, for example.

I did not mean to say servio could not do this, just that depending on your service provider ( upload bandwidth)

you may not get useful results. I ( Shaw ) do not have adequate upload bandwidth.

I would add tho, I did not try very hard. I am sure there are folks around here that can give you a definitive explanation.