Stream music from MBL to android over internet

Hi I recently purchased a MBL and have searched as much as I possibly could for a way to stream music to my android phone while I am away from my WiFi.

I know that WD my cloud has media playing capabilities but I need features like being able to search my library and playlists something that WD software can’t do.

I am really at a loss for what I should do. Plex doesn’t seem to run on MBL and the Subsonic/Ampache installation procedure seems elusive to me. I’ve also considered turning the MBL into a FTP server if possible.

Can anyone help me, I doubt I am the only one who wants this kind of functionality and has run into the same problem.

I have not seen anyone doing this. why don’t you upload your music to Google Music or Google drive instead?

It should be possible, however, you will need apps that can stream via ftp/sftp/scp/ssh.

I have done something similar, but do not do it pretty often as well:

• SFTP to MBL over internet using ES file Explorer

• Play file with ES File explorer music player

However, I do not have playlist or search by artist. I just access my music share, in which folders are sort by Artist/Album.

FTP is not a secure protocol, hence I use SSH/SFTP. Even though it is music, in my case it is not my main usage. I just access shares for data.

And last, streaming will depend a lot on your up speed where MBL is located. I have 20down/5up. Less than 5 will be hard to stream from home.

I setup the WD My Cloud app and am able to connect to all of my shares. Navigating to the directory of the file works (can play the full set of songs on repeat as default).  Not great functionality, and I think playlists will work, but haven’t gotten past that point.

Q about FTP / SFTP. The option in the WD setup just says enable FTP.  Is ths SFTP or do I need to go to command line and install sftp?

because Google has decided that my country is not worthy of those features unfortunately. I am really surprised that I am the only person who has thought of using a media server for streaming music. upload speed is not an issue I have about 8-9

Omaestre wrote:

because Google has decided that my country is not worthy of those features unfortunately. I am really surprised that I am the only person who has thought of using a media server for streaming music. upload speed is not an issue I have about 8-9

But you’re still limited by the hardware specs of the MBL.

super easy to stream music over internet from MBL to your device.  Install FeaturesPackManager, Install AccessBook, Install MP3 add in. Set up your remote access port forwards as per FeaturesPack instructions. 

highlevelbits.fr

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Omaestre wrote:

that does not make any sense, how can there be a hardware problem? I know that i already can stream music over the internet via the WD My cloud android app, although without playlists or search function. so it is physically possible, I also know that the MBL has some sort of OS built in due to some of the 2TB memory being allocated for it, along with its JAVA applet. So if anything there is a software problem.

Therefore I am asking if there is any third party software that can index my files and allow that index to be accessed remotely. The play list functionality is not even that crucial I really just want to be able to use a search function. I have a big music library and scrolling endlessly back and forth is a real hassle.

wdlive76 wrote:

super easy to stream music over internet from MBL to your device.  Install FeaturesPackManager, Install AccessBook, Install MP3 add in. Set up your remote access port forwards as per FeaturesPack instructions. 

highlevelbits.fr

Thanks man I’ll check it out, some links would be useful though.

Does your solution allow me to search my music on the MBL and create playlists?

Omaestre wrote:

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Omaestre wrote:

that does not make any sense, how can there be a hardware problem?

Because the MBL specs are simply not good enough for that. You can’t just compare a proprietary app with a propriatary service designed around the actual hardware specs and dedicated firmware behavior based on proprietary modifications to cloud computing protocols to a 3rd party app and how it behaves with 3rd party devices using standard protocols and expect it to be even close in performance.

It’s like trying to run a PC game on minimum system requirements. Just becase it runs doesn’t mean it looks or plays decently.

I am not here to argue with you, it won’t solve my problem. What you are describing would only be true if I was trying to get the MBL to do something that is beyond it design. Like if a wanted it to sync folders with a remote server.

If the device has the capabilities wouldn’t it stand to reason that somewhere out there , 3rd party or modded software exists that operates within its parameters, and allows for such a basic function as file searching?

Afterall I am not trying ot get it to do something it doesn’t already do nativly. Both the java applet and the browser are capable of indexing. And a UPnP player on the android market is both able to access and search by artist, album and date. Unfortunatley the free version only allows this to be done over WiFi.

So I know it is possible. If you still hold the position that searching indexed files from an android app is not possible than I do not think you can help me with a solution.