Strange mycloud app situation

Sorry in advance for such a noob question, but here’s my problem: remotely I can access my cloud unit at home via the iOS app and 4G network, but not not on Internet over guest or public wifi. When accessed via 4g network the app works perfectly, and my files appear on the app screen in a couple of seconds. but via internet the mycloud icon just hourglasses and nothing happens. What could be going on?

Which internet browser are you using to connect with My Cloud? And are you facing this issue with different web browser also?

I believe in all cases it has been Google. Is that significant?

@pbj
Your facts are confusing, and you may be having an issue with your Cloud Access. If you can stream from your 4G, THAT IS the internet.

Let’s check things out at Home. by streaming with and without your home wi-fi ON. First, with your home wifi ON, stream with your mobile device from My Cloud. If your home network is working OK you will have success. Now, close the MC app, and turn off the wifi in the mobile device. Open MC again and try to stream via the only internet: the 4G. If you cannot, then you have a cloud access issue.

So, let me know what works and we will go from there.

Just to be clear I am able to access the WD cloud server on both 4G and with Internet while at home. It’s only when I’m away from home and on a local Wi-Fi network at my office that I cannot access WD my cloud. I just wasn’t sure why. But if I turn the Wi-Fi off on my iPhone, I can then access the My Cloud server at my home.

Sounds like your office WiFi is blocking access. What about accessing MyCloud.com while on the office WiFi, still blocked?

Either contact the office IT staff (if any) and see if they can unblock the WD app or use the WD app over cellular data only. Or if you can use MyCloud.com over Wifi at the office go that route.

You think you are being clear, but you are using incorrect terminology that makes things unclear. I will explain: When at home, you are NOT using “internet” via your wifi, you are using your local home network to access the My Cloud.

But, if you have your wifi in phone OFF, you ARE using the MC app via cell 4G signal through the internet. Your My cloud has Cloud Access via a connection it makes via a port forward connection to internet if all is well.

Unless your office wifi is blocking your access to the MC, I think you have a Cloud Access problem. The link below explains how to fix and regain Cloud Access for another user. Hopefully it can help you.

I solved this weeks ago. Looks like I need i need unsubscribe from this thread.

Caher: Weird. My message was sent to member pbj, not Caher, although I forwarded the link of our thread to pbj who is apparently having the same issue.

Thanks! I will give it a go!

Let me know how it goes. If it works for you, be sure to click on solved.