Strange disk activity

Hi!

I’ve 1 TB My Book Elite and recently the disk activity on it is 100% and i can do nothing with it. The funny thing is, that no programs use it at all and I get this (just connected it):

Screenshot - 12_21_2010 , 9_40_48 PM.png

Indexing is off, Windows SP3, all smart and self test is OK, antivir disabled, defragment 0%, no program use (i can see it from Process Monitor) also no processes use it (Process Explorer).

Any idea ?

Thanks,

tutyi

Did you install Smartware?

Joe

Yes i did, but the disk activity is appear with and without it.

If you have the Smartware setup for automatic backup it’s probably running in background comparing PC and backup for changes.

Joe

I’ve never used the automatic backup. It’s just a storage for changing data between work and home, and i handle everything manually with total commander.

Is there any useful application which can tells me what is accessing the external drive ? Or monitoring tool. I run out of ideas.

What do you have for antivirus? Did you look in the task manager to see what Processes are running? There is this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Joe

I’m using Avira Antivir but it was turned off, and I saw nothing in Process Monitor as I mentioned in the first post. I think one of the firmware upgrades did something, and its defragmenting itself / doing some maintance thing (that is my wildest guess, coz i never run defrag on it and it’s still 0% defragmented after 1 year)

Your image doesn’t show a list of running processes. I mentioned the antivirus because I had problems with AVG in the past and seems troublesome on Windows 7 crash dump analysis. Do you use a third party Defrag program? I’ve got a My Book Pro II and had problems and I finally traced to to using JK Defrag. What about check disk is that running? What about indexing on the external it’s in properties?

Joe

tutyi3 wrote:

Indexing is off, Windows SP3, all smart and self test is OK, antivir disabled, defragment 0%, no program use (i can see it from Process Monitor) also no processes use it (Process Explorer).

vista sp3 or xp sp3?

vista, like win7, has defrag scheduled by default

xp sp3, I dont use any third party defrag programs

Screenshot - 1_1_2011 , 2_44_49 PM.png