Storing mp3's and movies

Once ive backed up my movies and mp3’s onto my passport, can I erase them from my laptop to keep my system running fast and just retrive them from my passport when i need them…Im new to the external drive game!

the best way to test it is plug in the passport to any other computer and try playing those file and see if they work …if it works then you can delete the files from computer without any hesitation

Hi

Having stored AVI files on my my WD disk, i dont seem to be able to copy them back to my laptop. i  tried copying back the whole directory that included AVI files but but everything but the movies were copied. I can access the movies and play them back with no problem so i dont understand what the problem could be. any help would be appreciated.

bugsy,

Once ive backed up my movies and mp3’s onto my passport, can I erase them from my laptop to keep my system running fast and just retrive them from my passport when i need them…Im new to the external drive game!

It doesn’t make computer fast even if you delete mp3 files unless you are running out of space.

I would keep mp3 on your computer.  The reason for doing this is to have a backup.

Backup means you have to have at least 2 different copies at different location.

If your WD crash all of your mp3 will be lost.

gaz911,

Try copying 1 file at a time instead of whole folder.  I ran into similar issue and it doesn’t make sense, but sometime it works.