Storage capacity

I have already bought and installed a external hard drive with a capacity of 500GB. Well, in the box goes it written, but once I got inside the hard drive from my computer, there was indicated a capacity of 465GB. Then I wonder: Where have theese 35GB of differcence gone?

Thanks

500GB as it is on the package is 500,000,000,000 Bytes. Since a kilobyte is 1024 bytes and a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes and a gigabyte is 1024 megabytes, the calculation doesn’t come out as 500 GBs of space. It’s basically a marketing scheme to make you think you’re getting more space than you are, all hard drives are sold that way. It’s 500 billion bytes and not 500 GBs, even though that’s what it says. 465 GBs of space is all there really is. If you divide 500,000,000,000 by 1024, then by 1024, then by 1024 again, you get the actual space your computer will use, which comes out to 465.66 GB.

I hope this helps!!!

~Ali

WOW!!! I’m impressed. Your explanation is amazing. I suppose you are an informatic worker or you like very much computers. I’ve checked out your calculation and it’s just what you say.

Thanks for the answer.

I had the same question as you many years ago and someone told me exactly what I told you. So that BIG number thats on the package is not the ACTUAL storage. Take about 10-20 percent off and you have your real storage.

Please give kudos and click on accept solution for me please!