Still Happy after 6 months with firmware v03.04.01-219

Was performing some drive cleanup today and decided to copy some files from my attached cloud device, the USB WD 4TB drive to an attached 1TB WD USB 3 drive on my computer and I got fantastic transfer speeds of 60MB/s. I am completely stoked on the fantanstic speed that I’m getting on an attached device. I still remember testing an attached USB 3 drive on a  router that supported USB 3 and I got a disappointing 17MB/s reads.

As I said before, I was very happy with my purchases and 6 months later, I am still not disappointed. Since there isn’t very many happy stories, I thought I would post one up before disappearing again.   

and by the way I will not be updating my firmware until the cows come home…

After my last fiasco with updating the firmware and rebooting with the drive stuck in white light mode for 3 hours disallowing me to SSH into the device which caused my panic to completely reset my device, I’ve decided that I won’t be updating my firmware unless the next firmware fixes the sleep mode; I mean total sleeping that deactivates all linux jobs from running including the ones around 8AM.

Currently I have deactivated all cron jobs, all scans, all db indexing. Turn on sleep when I head to bed, turn off sleep during the day when I accessing the cloud. I can access the device when I’m away from home without any problems; without the scans I just don’t get the thumbnails on my photos or movies which is fine.

With most of the programs deactivated for over 6 months, it goes to show that an almost barebone Cloud is feasible. Although I don’t use twonky or media tv. I do use itunes that access the Cloud as a mapped local drive. 

To WD, simplify your drive.

This is a simple NAS and there is no reason for multiple programs running in the background. Although I appreciate that this is a tiny computer running on my bookshelf, there is absolutely nothing that is needed to run on a daily basis.

If you need to scan, make it user activated; in other words add a button to the menu so the user can click on scan and watch the scan work with full status on a tiny window.  

The problem with your WD software, is that like the white light that stays on for several hours and we have no idea of what is going on. Just like your scanning, although we see a message that the device is initializing or scanning, the device is basically dead for hours. Lets put it this way, my TV does not initialize for 3 hours, in fact if it initializes for more then 1 minute, I would take the TV back to the store. There is never a point in where the device should be doing something without the user knowing and if it is which is what we are complaining about, your device is faulty.

When I go to sleep, my Mac is asleep, so is my PC and for the last 6 months the WD has been doing pretty well, waking only every couple of hours probably to tinkle despite my deactivation of the Cron. Something keeps waking up my cloud at 8am, 8:30am and 8:52am everyday.  

but all in all, I’m still happy with my purchases…

and I still get the odd private msg from our friendly Troll telling me that my kudos has gone down, but I see that he has pushed my kudos back to the top again.

I’ll check in again in 6 months…

Regards…

1 Like

Good for you.

So, is it your firmware version v03.04.01-219 or the fact that you’ve disabled all jobs on the NAS or both?  I need and want the media servers running on Public but I don’t need them to continually scan the drive for updates.  I don’t update my library that often.  I would rather have full control over when that occurs.   I’ve read where some people have accessed Twonky configuration directly and bypassed the WD Dashboard to tweak the configuration.  I may give that a try.  Is it worth spending more time to try to get everything running at a reasonable performance level or should I return it and start over with another product?  I don’t have hours to spend at home with support when I have to be at work.

Both. I disabled all jobs on the NAS and I stayed with firmware v03.04.01 despite WD asking me to update indicating that it fixes the booting with attached USB problem (which it probably doesn’t indicated by the fact that many users are still having that problem).

I have created scripts that deactivates all the jobs and for a little while back a couple of months ago, I would turn on a couple of jobs and let it run for a whole day; but then I figure there is really nothing in the jobs that is really needed to run. 

Right now the device is stable. I had spent a good 6 months reading through all the WD Live and WD Cloud threads and disseminating what the programs do and I prefer WD over all the other NAS devices for the reason that it is simpler.

Although the other NAS like QNAP offers a plethora of features, you have to remember that the CPU probably has less power then your smartphone :stuck_out_tongue: If you want a powerhouse NAS, then buy one of those hockey puck PC’s that allows you to attach several USB 3 devices to it, then either install linux, or even run windows as a server.  It would be cheaper then a QNAP device.

For simplicity, I love the fact that WD Cloud sits on my bookshelf with no fans and I wrap a book cover around it to disguise the fact that I have a NAS device on my shelf. The only job that it needs to do is turn on when I need to store or retrieve data and sleep for the rest of the time. Torrents are always performed on my PC or Mac as well as any other PC related jobs.

It is simple and cheap. my 4TB cloud costed only $200 the same price as a bare bone WD Red 4tb drive. In comparison, a QNAP dual bay will run at least $300 without drives. Been there, done that.

If you can learn the quirks and quacks of a device and work around it, then it is a keeper; if not, get something that you can understand :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Reply to, jdeviney

You may want to look at Twonky and make changes for scans. See image below.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Ralphael wrote:

and by the way I will not be updating my firmware until the cows come home…

an almost barebone Cloud is feasible. Although I don’t use twonky or media tv. I do use itunes that access the Cloud as a mapped local drive. 

To WD, simplify your drive.

This is a simple NAS and there is no reason for multiple programs running in the background. Although I appreciate that this is a tiny computer running on my bookshelf, there is absolutely nothing that is needed to run on a daily basis.

If you need to scan, make it user activated

The problem with your WD software, is that like the white light that stays on for several hours and we have no idea of what is going on.

but all in all, I’m still happy with my purchases…

but I see that he [the troll] has pushed my kudos back to the top again.

Amen, brother. A-effing-men. Peace out.

Currently I have deactivated all cron jobs, all scans, all db indexing. Turn on sleep when I head to bed, turn off sleep during the day when I accessing the cloud. I can access the device when I’m away from home without any problems; without the scans I just don’t get the thumbnails on my photos or movies which is fine.

With most of the programs deactivated for over 6 months, it goes to show that an almost barebone Cloud is feasible. Although I don’t use twonky or media tv. I do use itunes that access the Cloud as a mapped local drive. 

Can you please make a guide for disabling useless stuff ? 

It would be extremely helpfull.