Still getting "Last content source has been removed"

So I’ve been trying to get the media library function to work, and scrape metadata into my folders.  I was under the impression the most recent updates to the Live Streaming should have enabled using a network share as the source, where previously that functionality was only available for locally attached disks.  Is this correct?

Assuming it is, I’ve been pointing the config at my share, I’ve tried both from the setup menu and using the “option” button while selectnig the folder.  It tells me it’s building the media library, I give it lots of time, overnight at least several times, and eventually I  get the “Last content source has been removed”.  I don’t think it’s network, I’m using wired, connected to a 24 port GigE switch.  The server is a WHS machine, it is not set to ever sleep, and I don’t have any kind of disconnect or performance issues anywhere else.

I can browse my shares and pull content fine with no issues using the network share method, I’d at least like to check out the media library functions though.

Is anyone else having similar problems? 

Thank you!

I had this issue for a little bit…but fiddled with it and it started working again…I just had the issued after resetting my router…but after clearing everything out of the SMP and redoing the shares etc its all worked again

Same sorts of issues here.  When I get “Last content source has been removed” I can see in the WHS 2011 security log a series of logon audit failures.  If I clear the stored username/password on the WD TV Live and enter it again, everything instantly works.  It has to be something on the WD TV Live side.

An audit failure does not indicate a “problem” with the WDTV.   All the WDTV is doing is logging in using cached credentials.

The audit failure event indicates your server denied the login, most likely due to a policy you’re enforcing on the server.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

An audit failure does not indicate a “problem” with the WDTV.   All the WDTV is doing is logging in using cached credentials.

The audit failure event indicates your server denied the login, most likely due to a policy you’re enforcing on the server.

It could indicate a problem if the WDTV is not sending credentials properly or consistantly.  I haven’t checked my security logs to see if anything wonky is happening there, I’ll do that.

I know the credentials are working at least some of the time, as I have seen new metadata files created in some folders, it’s just not clear to me why it can’t make it through the whole thing.  The folder I’m scanning has 330 folders in it, with around 5K files, but the vast majority of the files are metadata for xbmc. Even then, scanning all that shouldn’t take very long.

I’m going to run another test as well, I’m moving a single folder to another location and then pointing the WDTVS at that, and seeing how that turns out.

"An audit failure does not indicate a “problem” with the WDTV.   All the WDTV is doing is logging in using cached credentials.

The audit failure event indicates your server denied the login, most likely due to a policy you’re enforcing on the server."

I’ve noticed your “blame anything other than WD” attitude in these forums, and it’s not helpful.

An audit failure in this case does indicate a “problem” with the WD TV Live, and I’ll make this really simple.  Changing nothing at all on the server side, the WD cannot connect after it restarts.  The server logs the following:

Failure Information:

Failure Reason:  Unknown user name or bad password.

Process Information:  Caller Process ID: 0x0

Workstation Name: WDTVLIVE

Source Network Address: 192.168.1.124

Source Port:  49655

Again, changing nothing on the server side, if I clear and reenter the credentials on the WD TV Live, it immediately works.  It’s not a policy on the server side.  I’m a network engineer and Windows deployment expert.  I know how to read a log file.  I didn’t go into that level of detail because I didn’t expect to be asked for proof, but there you have it.

The WD TV Live should be logging in with cached credentials, but in my case, the credentials it is using after a restart seem to be incorrect.  Obviously, the server will not log those credentials for security purposes, but maybe the WD engineers can provide a way to check those credentials on the WD TV Live side and see what is going wrong or what changes when I reenter them.

Well, I don’t have any login issues showing in my log.  I ran my test, I created a seperate folder and placed a movie folder in it.  It has a grand total of 13 files, 1 video, some jpg thumbnails and backgrounds, and some metadata.

It’s been building the media library for something like 7 hours now.

I guess I’ll try a full reset and see if that addresses the issue at all.

Toddler wrote:

I’ve noticed your “blame anything other than WD” attitude in these forums, and it’s not helpful.

Not true at all.  I’ve opened more ISSUE REPORTS than almost any other user.  Note that I’m the TOP Kudo’d in the Issue Report section for the SMP, and #3 for the Hub. 

When I find problems, I blame WD.   When other users can find problems that I can’t reproduce, I’ll still investigate and see if I can find the cause.   (See the three Networking bugs I’ve found and reported, that don’t affect me, but do affect other users.)    I am the one who troubleshot, found the Samba Bug in the WDTV that cuased failed logins to Windows 7 boxes running Windows Live two years ago, and worked with them to get it fixed.

I’ve been around here long enough to know that in 90% of cases, it *IS* something other than the WD that’s causing problems.

So that accusation up there falls flat.

Look.   We both are runing identical client software.   We’re running different SERVER software.   I am using four different NAS platforms, with two different OS’s, and three different SAMBA builds (on the Linux boxes) and Microsoft CIFS.   All told, I have about 25 TB of storage on the wire.

I have *NEVER* had any login issue, on *ANY* WD network platform with the one exception I described a the top of this post.

My QNAP and WD (Linux) NAS boxes, nor my Windows 7 box, have NEVER reported a failed login.  EVER… going back almost 2 years and countless upgrades and patches to all the platforms involved.

So, what is your theory that would explain why YOUR WD can’t keep logins straight, but 99% of the other users can?  If WD’s consistently munge login attempts, I would expect that EVERYONE would be reporting this.

Short of a hardware problem, or some fairly bizarre firmware interaction, there’s no reason why different boxes would behave differently at the network protocol level.    But there are COUNTLESS reasons why the SERVER would behave differently.   Especially when people are running SERVER builds of Windows, which has enhanced security policing.

The only way to narrow down the cause if these failed logins would be to get a Wireshark capture of the whole process and compare the Before & After.     Since you’re a network engineer (as am I) and a windows expert, that should be a trivial excercise.   :wink:

Yeah, that’s about what I expected.  Now users need to do packet captures to verify that what is clearly logged by Windows is actually true?  I can tell you already that there is a difference.  The before doesn’t authenticate, and the after does.  “Unknown user name or bad password” isn’t a blocking policy, those would be logged differently.  Go figure, reentering the password resolves the issue.  And just because you’ve never experienced an issue doesn’t mean it isn’t valid.

The attitude I get from you comes from threads like the “Movie Folders” discussion where you tell people that caring about the folder structure of their libraries is a “specious argument” since we should all do it like you do.  Where you tell people things like “Sounds like it’s causing YOU more problems than it is me, because I’m enjoying the functionality of my media network while you’re complaining about freakin’ folders!”  If that is you really trying to be helpful, I apologize, but it sure seems like your default position is to blame the user until you’ve exhausted all possible excuses.

Toddler wrote:

The attitude I get from you comes from threads like the “Movie Folders” discussion where you tell people that caring about the folder structure of their libraries is a “specious argument” since we should all do it like you do. 

Hold on.  The opposite is true, as well…  You’re telling others that YOUR way is superior and REQUIRED.   

That subject of that thread is an OPINION on best practices and usability, by definition…   This thread is not.

I’m not telling anyone my way is better.  That’s not even my thread.  I think I commented by saying it’s bad design if a vendor’s device doesn’t play well with a user’s existing file/folder structure, and I’ll stand by that.  I’m not using backdrops or metadata, so it doesn’t affect me one way or the other, but I certainly sympathize with the other posters who do care about keeping their heirarchy managed and organized and do not like your reply that those concerns are “specious arguments” because while they are sharing their concerns, you are enjoying your WD Live.  The obvious implication is to just shut up and stop being a nuisance, because what works for you should be good enough for everyone.

I neglected your other question…> * * *
Toddler wrote:

Now users need to do packet captures to verify that what is clearly logged by Windows is actually true?

Of course not.   But, for people like you and I have that actually CAN do it with a minimum of fuss, it would accomplish two things;
   1-  It would identify the smoking gun.   It would show WHAT the WD is Sending that the server isn’t likeing.

2-  It would provide WD with technical specifics to provide to their developers so they don’t have to  REPRODUCE the failure.

If they can’t reproduce the failure, trouble reports often go nowhere.

Agreed, but I don’t want to install Wireshark or even WinPcap on my server.  Every other device I have is working perfectly, and it’s not worth mucking with the server to troubleshoot this device, especially when I have no sense that WD engineers are actively monitoring this thread.  Maybe a firmware update will come out before my 30 days are up, or if it comes down to it, I’ll just return the WD TV Live.

Toddler wrote:

… especially when I have no sense that WD engineers are actively monitoring this thread.

Probably not, but they are monitoring the ISSUEs threads.

Well it seems like doing a factory reset resolved my problems. Library seems to be functioning and scraping data more or less.  Though it misses some odd ones here and there, and metadata only seems to be shown in the detail view of a movie, even though some of the higher level browse views seem like they should show more detail.  I’m thinking that might be because I have my folder structure compatible with XBMC.  I guess it sorta seemed like a no-brainer to me that it should be compatible with the XBMC way.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Toddler wrote:

Not true at all.  I’ve opened more ISSUE REPORTS than almost any other user.  Note that I’m the TOP Kudo’d in the Issue Report section for the SMP, and #3 for the Hub. 

When I find problems, I blame WD.   When other users can find problems that I can’t reproduce, I’ll still investigate and see if I can find the cause.   (See the three Networking bugs I’ve found and reported, that don’t affect me, but do affect other users.)    I am the one who troubleshot, found the Samba Bug in the WDTV that cuased failed logins to Windows 7 boxes running Windows Live two years ago, and worked with them to get it fixed.

I’ve been around here long enough to know that in 90% of cases, it *IS* something other than the WD that’s causing problems.

So that accusation up there falls flat.

Look.   We both are runing identical client software.   We’re running different SERVER software.   I am using four different NAS platforms, with two different OS’s, and three different SAMBA builds (on the Linux boxes) and Microsoft CIFS.   All told, I have about 25 TB of storage on the wire.

I have *NEVER* had any login issue, on *ANY* WD network platform with the one exception I described a the top of this post.

My QNAP and WD (Linux) NAS boxes, nor my Windows 7 box, have NEVER reported a failed login.  EVER… going back almost 2 years and countless upgrades and patches to all the platforms involved.

So, what is your theory that would explain why YOUR WD can’t keep logins straight, but 99% of the other users can?  If WD’s consistently munge login attempts, I would expect that EVERYONE would be reporting this.

Short of a hardware problem, or some fairly bizarre firmware interaction, there’s no reason why different boxes would behave differently at the network protocol level.    But there are COUNTLESS reasons why the SERVER would behave differently.   Especially when people are running SERVER builds of Windows, which has enhanced security policing.

The only way to narrow down the cause if these failed logins would be to get a Wireshark capture of the whole process and compare the Before & After.     Since you’re a network engineer (as am I) and a windows expert, that should be a trivial excercise.   :wink:

I am also having the same problem… if I set it to remember the login credentials then the nex ttime i turn the box on it will say that the source has been removed or no media in folder it is a right pain. If I set it so that it doesnt remember credentials so I have to input them every time I want to watch something else and browse files then it works ok every time so to me this is an issue with the WDTV when you select remember details check box!

Also can someone post some specific instructions for Windows 7 on sharing the folders. Media streaming is on and I have shared the user folder to everyone.

Like i say the folder shows up fine when I manually log on and dont save credentials but god help me if I try to set it to my media library or save the log in details.

First, Media Streaming and Network Sharing are two different things.   There’s no need to enable Media Streaming if you have no desire to have the “DLNA” Server running on your Windows box.

In Network and Sharing Center:

Turn ON Network Discovery

Turn ON File and Printer Sharing

Turn OFF Password Protected FIle Sharing, unless you know specifically what you’re doing with this setup.

Then, in Windows Explorer, find the folder you want to share.   

Right click the folder and select “Share With…”  … “Specific People…”

Click the little Drop-down box and select EVERYONE and click ADD…

In the Drop-down box next to EVERYONE, select READ/WRITE…

Click the SHARE button, and follow the prompts.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

First, Media Streaming and Network Sharing are two different things.   There’s no need to enable Media Streaming if you have no desire to have the “DLNA” Server running on your Windows box.

In Network and Sharing Center:

Turn ON Network Discovery

Turn ON File and Printer Sharing

Turn OFF Password Protected FIle Sharing, unless you know specifically what you’re doing with this setup.

Then, in Windows Explorer, find the folder you want to share.   

Right click the folder and select “Share With…”  … “Specific People…”

Click the little Drop-down box and select EVERYONE and click ADD…

In the Drop-down box next to EVERYONE, select READ/WRITE…

Click the SHARE button, and follow the prompts.

I dont want just anyone to be able to get access to my files as this is a shared house and we all use the same wifi network. So do I leave password protected turned on? Also why when I set a particular folder to my media library it forgets it next time if I select the remember password option.

With Password Protected Sharing, you must have a password-protected account for the WD to log into, and that account must have access to the shared folders.  Other than that, the remainder stays the same.