Still cannot access Win Vista network shares

Hi, everyone!

I am kind of patient customer and I respect those who are working on their products and improve them. I understand that not everything can be done and solved at a sweep. But now I am really wrathy.

Could someone from WD tell me - why can’t I still accees my Windows Vista network shares??? I couldn’t do this with previous official firmware and still can’t. What is wrong? When I try to access network share, nothing happens… Nothing. It seems like this menu button (Network Share) is inactive. I have tried every advice I could find on every forum, including this one. No matter what I do, WD TV Live doesn’t even offer me to log in share. I was hoping new firmware will finally let me use Live for what I purchased it - to stream my videos accross LAN.

Needless to say that I can watch YouTube and listen to live365, so Live recognize my WUSB600N Wi-Fi stick. I can as well access WD TV Live share from my Win Vista. But never other way.

So - what do I do wrong??? Is there any trick? If, so, please, WD, let me know!

And other thing - after I upgraded to new firmware, WD TV LIve share became Read-Only.

PS. My network is simple: Laptop with Windows Vista x32 → LinkSys WRT320N → WD TV LIve with LinkSys WUSB600N Wi-Fi stick.

May be, it’s like me!! turn on your pc, turn on your , wait a half hour and after, see if wd sees the shared folders

First thing you need to do is see if you can see those shares from another PC – it may not be the Live’s fault.  If you can beg borrow or steal someone else’s laptop I’d connect it to your network and test that out.

You say you tried everything so I assume you already added an “everyone” to your Win 7 share and turned off the password.  And that after you did all that you reset the Live back to factory conditions and unplugged the power from it while it was on.  And also tried resetting it with the paperclip to the side.

If none of the above helps the odds are strong there is some ■■■■ on your laptop that is interferring.  My own shares worked perfectly until I installed Microsoft’s Text to Speech engine (which is often preinstalled).  I had to uninstall it to get them working again.  But that’s just one small example.

Hi,

I think we share the same problem…

What I’ve seen is that if I connect to the network with an ethernet cable all works fine.

When I use my usb wi-fi stick d-link DWA-140 when I choose network shares… it simply does nothing.

I think wireless is the problem.

Hope it will get fixed soon!!

Thanks for your replies.

First of of all - I have Win Vista not Win 7 and yes - I created user anonymous and I even gave all rights to everyone. I did hardware reset un software reset. I was waiting even 2h to shares show up.

I don’t have another computer, however I installed virtual machine with windows xp and I was able to access vista shares from virtual xp. I know this doesn’t count. Well I guess I have to get another real computer after all. I am not giving up… yet…

newage wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

First of of all - I have Win Vista not Win 7 and yes - I created user anonymous and I even gave all rights to everyone. I did hardware reset un software reset. I was waiting even 2h to shares show up.

I don’t have another computer, however I installed virtual machine with windows xp and I was able to access vista shares from virtual xp. I know this doesn’t count. Well I guess I have to get another real computer after all. I am not giving up… yet…

Are you saying that on the same computer you run both xp and vista and was able to connect to each other. You are right I don’t know if this does count. However what might count is if you run XP and were able to connect to WDTV

Hi, everyone!

I finally found a solution for this problem. Stupid me - the solution was in front of my eyes. All I did is - I changed the DHCP NodeType from peer-peer to Broadcast and that’s it!! It worked!

Anyway, thanks everyone.